What's new

Denon 3805.....New model in the future? (1 Viewer)

GeraldClyde

Auditioning
Hello everyone...

I am building my home theater and I am sold on the Denon 3805. The 3805 has been out for awhile and it would bug me
to buy the 3805 now and a new generation/model is released 3 months from now.

Does anyone know if Denon is planning to release a new model if so I would wait. If not I would proceed and purchase the 3805.

Thanks!!!!

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IIRC, the 3805 came out around October so I doubt it'll be superceded until around that time again.

Mort

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Not in the next couple months. Denon is focused on the upcoming release of the 4805. The '5' series will then be complete. Also, Denon has only recently been delivering the 5805. So the '5' series should be good at least till late fall, and possibly till early 2006.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Gerald- Typical of most or even all brands, model changes usually only incorporate new features which in many cases are irrelevant to the new buyer.
My point- No reason to wait even if the replacement model were to be released tomorrow.
Newer models almost always sell closer to the full MSRP while virtually the same receiver that is being replaced can be bought at discount.
Get the 3805 today and enjoy a great sounding movie tonight.

GeraldClyde

Auditioning
I could not decide between Yamaha or Denon but after reading so many positive reviews for the 3805 and after reading you guys input I am off to Tweeter to buy my very first A/V receiver...yea!!! Now I have to decide what type of speakers to purchase.

PerryD

Supporting Actor

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
They could actually include the mic with the newer model as well as the new HD DTS/DD formats and possibily HDMI.

Right now is a tricky time to buy a receiver.

GeraldClyde

Auditioning
I am thinking about going all Polk for my speaker setup.

Center Channel: Csi5

Rears: FXi3

Sub: PSW505

Now floor speakers I am not sure... Is there a significant difference in sound between the LSi15 and the LSi25?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure what Denon's strategy on pricing is. The 4806 is priced the same as the original top-of-the-line AVR-5800. Makes me fear what the 3806 will cost if/when released later this year, maybe near the price of the original AVR-4800 ($2500)?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have a 4802, and the 4800 line is a definet step up. At least in weight :) .. Man that thing is heavy!!! I was surprised at how much lighter the 380X series is in comparisons.

PerryD

Supporting Actor

$3500 for a receiver is out of your price range, but $3000 for a pair a speakers in your budget. I do believe you have your priorities set correctly, I think the budget for speakers (especially for 7 speakers) should be many times the price of the receiver driving them (e.g. $5K speakers vs $1K receiver).

As far as the speakers you mentioned, I'm not familiar with them, but all I can tell for the difference in the specs is 8" sub vs a 10" sub, 25 pounds, and $600 on each. I guess it really depends on how much bass you really want in your setup. I would think the extra money could be better spent on a nicer sub (like a Velodyne) instead.

Shiu

Second Unit
Take a look of the SVS before you decide on the PSW505. With a powerful sub, I think the LSI15 is a better choice.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
With all the changes coming on seemingly a yearly basis, ie., a receiver is "obsolete" now after only a couple of years, I've about decided the best thing to do is concentrate on the best 2 channel pre and power amps you can afford for music. And then for movies, just get something like a Pioneer 1014 or something equivalent that is a lot for the money, use it for a couple of years, then replace it when the time comes with a new updated "bang for the buck" model.

I just can't see myself ever putting a lot of money into an AVR ever again.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Do you live anywhere near the East coast? I'll be selling my Polk RTi8s and CSi3 soon. Time for me to upgrade again. I don't know if using the CSi5 with the LSi series would be the best idea. Try to stay in the same series if you can. With that being said, I was at a retailer the other day and they had the LSi15s for $999 a pair. This was a special sale. Man, that was a great price.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
What I fail to understand is why Denon replaced the AVR5803 with the 'MULTIROOM' AVR5805. The AVR5805 should have been slotted in a different product category rather than as a replacement for the AVR5803. Anyhow since what is doen is done, I had been hoping that the AVR4806 would become the replacement for the AVR5803, but looking at the power amplifier specifications it is quite obvious that the AVR4806 with its significantly lower power than the AVR 5803 is not a replacement for it. Now the question is, will Denon bring out a product in between the AVR4806 and the AVR5803 and if so what will they name it. What I, and I am sure many others like myself, would love to see is a model priced around $4000 - $4500 which is basically the AVR5805 less 3 channels and it's varied multiroom funtions. Basically what AVR5805 ought to have been to begin with and which should have replaced the AVR5803. As for the actual AVR5805, well that ought to have been maybe tagged as the AVR5905 or maybe even AVR5810 (10 representing the number of channels).

The AVR5805 is not only beyond most people's budget, but it also requires me to pay for stuff i have no need for whereas the AVR4806 would have sufficed for me, if it only had the same power as the AVR5803 with the new technologies and connectors added in.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Shane (and others!):

I would be hesitant to buy a first generation HDMI receiver - who knows what would bite you in the...

Because of this, I bought my Harman Kardon and will use it until it is a joke...then spend $5k on seperates.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Obsolete is a harsh term...

While any given AVR may not have some of the features you want, I'd say any Dolby Digital AVR would not be obsolete by any means.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Keep in mind that the 4802's "all channels driven" wattage was measured higher than Denon's ratings in that famous list... I forget what it's called... that shows the actual measured ratings of the most popular receivers.

I think the reason that the 4805 actually became a 4806 is that it will be around until the 3806, 2806, etc. are introduced, which I'll be will be this fall, rather than early in 2006.

So, the 4806 is actually pretty powerful... probably more powerful than Denon's ratings indicate, and I think sits in the proper spot between the 3805 and the 5805.

I think anyone who wants a receiver would want the 2-zone type thing, or a "less" powerful reciever like the 4806, or would go with separates.

IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks