What's new

Denon 3805 match or exceed Outlaw 950 sound quality? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
I have the Outlaw 950 on loan from a friend so it's my reference for comparison. Can a new receiver like the 3805 match or exceed the sound quality of an older separates piece like the Outlaw 950? I'll be using separate power amps so the receiver amp section is not a factor.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Ned- It might be best to ask this quetion to 3803 owners. The sound should be the same and there are probably ten times as many users of this receiver than the 3805.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily due to the new dac structure internally. I doubt you will find too many 3805 owners comparing it to the Outlaw due to the lack of PLIIX which some are classifying it as a must have feature and the Outlaw lacks it.

I am guessing here but I'm willing to think that perhaps the Outlaw is outgunned here. I would think that if you are satisfied with the Outlaw's limitations that you would just stick with that over a receiver.

Limitations being : No PLIIX, Lack of component ins, No Denon-Link/Ilink, no 3rd zone control as being its weaknesses or the ones I'd consider it to be a weakness.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor

Incorrect, the sound should be the same as only a few connection and DSP features have changed.

The AVR-3805 is different from the AVR-3803 in that:

1) It offers Alpha 24 Plus processing(all channel) opposed to Alpha 24 processing (2 channel)

2) DPL2x opposed to DPL2

3) HDCD decoding

4) Auto setup/Room EQ function

5) Denon link

6) 3 component inputs opposed to 2

7) Change of "AUX" A/V input and Optical 5 input from the rear panel to the front panel.

8) Newly designed front face with new LCD display

9) 120 watts opposed to 110 watts per channel

10) addition of 3rd "stereo audio only" zone

11) Replacement of standard LCD/hard button learning remote for soft touch panel remote.

12) Change from serial minijack port to serial RS232C port

13) Additional 12 Volt trigger

14) Removable power cord is now offered

15) Full front panel setup information eliminating the need for a setup monitor(TV) opposed to the need with the AVR-**03 and earlier model lines

16) Addition of 150Hz, 200Hz, and 250Hz bass management crossover points

While there is significant feature updates, the performance parameters are basically the same as the AVR-3803.

Have a good one.

KevinB

Stunt Coordinator
If at all possible, you should judge both units in the same evironment. I did this a few weeks ago. Although I really liked the auto setup and the parametric eq on the 3805, I sent it back and kept the 950. For some reason, the Denon had some sort of limiter on the preamp input section. I just couldn't get the same amount of volume out of the 950 with the same outboard amplifier (Acurus 5 x 125). I think both units were great and had different strengths and weaknesses, and they definitely sound different. Good luck deciding.

KevinB

Stunt Coordinator
I am using an all NHT setup (1.5's in the front, and audiocenter 1, and 4 superones for surround, and 2 NHT subs). The amp is a Acurus 5 x 125 and a Chiro C-300 for the subs and the back surrounds).

mike>r

Grip
Kevinb,
My next upgrade will be my processor and was considering the 950,from H/K310,I'm also running the outlaw 755 5x200 for amp,I am hoping for better s.q. from the 950.My speakers are polk audio and hoping they mate well.Did the 950 sound much better than the denon?

Ned

Supporting Actor
the Denon had some sort of limiter on the preamp input section. I just couldn't get the same amount of volume out of the 950 with the same outboard amplifier (Acurus 5 x 125).

I assume you mean you couldn't get as much volume out of the Denon compared to the 950. I'm using an Acurus A200x5 and A250x2 with the 950 and it's above reference level before the volume knob hits 0db. I'll have to see if my usual stores will give me an overnight loan of the 2805/3805 for a direct comparison. Even though the Outlaw 950 is now "old", I'd be satisfied with it's sound quality. If more recent units sound even better that's just gravy.

KevinB

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I wouldn't neccesarily say that the Outlaw 950 sounds better than the Denon. They sound different. In my opinion, the Denon sounds warm while the Outlaw tends to not add any coloration at all to the sound. But that's the way I percieved how the 2 units performed against each other. I do think that the Outlaw would be a better match for the Polks, as the Polk tend to sound warm to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks