Denon 3805 causing subwoofer to rumble/pop

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by edCroteau, Apr 20, 2005.

1. edCroteau

edCroteau Auditioning

Advice needed desparately.

My subwoofer is rumbling and popping, even with no signal at all. I've read through the forums and will be trying out the ground loop isolator technique later today. The sub only has a 2 prong output so there is no grounding pin to worry about.

I've got a Velodyne SPL-1000 II, a Denon 3805 AV/R, B&W speakers, and other components that seem unrelated to my problem.

I've hooked up the sub directly to the subwoofer line out on the 3805 using a Monster sub specialty RCA cable. The cable goes into the sub in the single input line in jack.

I've set the internal crossover to OFF and set the 3805 crossover frequency to 120Hz.

The speaker configuration setup is Subwoofer YES and it doesn't matter (for this problem) whether the other speakers are all set to SMALL or the fronts are set to LARGE and others to SMALL.

I've tried both the LFE and LFE+Main settings on Subwoofer setup.

I tried turning off the Denon and it still causes the rubbling (popping), only when the cable is physically removed does it stop.

Also, the kicker to the problem is that it is INTERMITTENT. It doesn't happen until things have warmed up. When I turn off the sub and try again later it may or may NOT rumble again.

When rumbling or not rumbling the sub seems to be working otherwise.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Ed

2. John S

John S Producer

Bad cable???? Try a cheapie for diagnosis purposes.

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I would definitely try Johns suggestion.

If that doesnt work though.

Have you tried just moving the main gain volume knob on the subs amp a little? I had a little 8" Velodyne sub once and it had a very noisy pot and it would make this low rumbling popping kind of noise when the volume was in certain positions. I could move the gain just a tiny bit and it would go away. This in no way affected the performance of the sub.

Hope you get it figured out.

4. edCroteau

edCroteau Auditioning

Thanks guys. I tried to recreate the problem for many hours today so that I could try a different cable, a ground loop isolator, etc. but, of course, today the intermittent problem was absent!

I did however change the volume on the sub inadvertently as I was trying to get it to misbehave so maybe that will help.

Ed

5. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Move the sub closer to the receiver and use a different AC outlet. Take out any y adapters just use a straight el cheapo RCA cable from the receiver to the sub. Let things warm up... and see if the problem still exists.

I had a humming problem on my system a couple of months ago and the culprit was the cable TV. The ground hum was coming from the cable box which is connected to my receiver through the digital coax.

My fix... switched to DishNetwork!