Denon 3805 Built In Amp Help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike~Sileck, May 27, 2004.

1. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Okay I have a dilema. The Denon 3805 only has a 7 channel amp in it, yet it does have Zone 2 support. So, you either run a 5.1 system and a zone 2, and have everything amped interally, or if you have 7.1 in one room, you need an amp to power the zone 2 speakers. However, I was wondering if this amp is configurable in any way, as in, if I externally amped the fronts/center/surround, could I configure the Denon to internally amp both my surround rears and my zone 2 speakers? Basically, some of the interal amps I know wouldn't be used, so this should be allowed. The idea is that my f/c/surrounds are WAY better then my SB's and z2 speakers, and are higher rated, so I really just want my Denon to amp those for me, and let me amp my higher end F/C/Surrounds. Please let me know if this is possible or if you need me to clarify anything. Thanks!

Mike

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

?

If I read this right, you have a 5.1 system and a separate zone 2 (2 speaker) system.

Your Denon can power the 5 main speakers and the separate 2 speakers (7 total). Using the pre-outs, you can power (externally) any combination of speakers you desire.

You can power the fronts and center with a separate 3-ch amp, and let the denon power the remaining 4 speakers (I use a separate amp for my fronts).

3. Mike~Sileck

No no no, I have a 7.1 system and a zone 2 system. The Denon only has 7 amps built in, and I was wondering if I could configure it so that the amp normally used for say, the surrounds or fronts could be programmed to amp my zone 2's (Because the zone 2 and Surround Back spealer outlets are the same outlet). I want to do this b/c I want to ext. amp my Fronts/Center/Surrounds, but I Want my Denon to amp my Surround Backs and Zone two. Make sense?

Mike

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

To my knowledge (and I only have the 3803), to use the internal amps (any of them) for zone 2, then you have to have 5.1 for the main zone. I am not aware of any way to reassign any other channel for Zone 2, even if you are using pre-outs.

5. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I will also be running 7 channels while utilizing the second zone for a total connection of 9 speakers. You should be able to play either 7 channels for HT or while running the second zone only 5 channels will run for the primary zone.

I couldn't imagine this being any other way.

The back panel has nine sets of speaker terminals.

6. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Brian, there are seperate preouts for zone 2, so you would be able to play seven channels in the primary room while routing a second source through an external amp and having all nine speakers running at once.

7. Houghton Andrew

Houghton Andrew Auditioning

Brian.

first off, i dont own a 3805, unfortunately i still got a 3801. so i may not know what i am talking about, but this amp has zone 2 feature too. aside, any one think it worth an upgrade at all? say to the 3805 or alike? i guess its got old and slow DACS and processor by todays standards.

anyway! i dont belive the software that enables the zone 2 feature to work is flexible enough to do what you want to do. it can only use the sb amps for zone 2 when it is enabled.

The compromise would be i guess is to swap the speakers you were using as rears to sb and power amp the sb channels instead. If using pro logic IIx i guess they will get better usage to justify the swap.
    although could (/would you even like too?) you save to get all the same speakers for tonal consitency and use it as you intend?

this is along as you can still get 7.1 if you power amp the sb channels?? i dunno! bit silly if you cant!

hope this is helpful. [​IMG]

8. Houghton Andrew

Houghton Andrew Auditioning

it been a long week !!

Brian?? sorry i mean Mike!
    sorry Brian, sorry Mike.

what a good first post! ; )

9. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

Only the surround back channel amp can be configured to be used by ZONE2 or ZONE3. So if you want 7.1 you will need an additionla amp for ZONE2 or ZONE3.

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Mark, that is correct (and what I am doing). But I don't think that is what he is trying to do. He wants to use seperate amps for the main zone (and still have 7.1), and use the internal amps for Zone 2, which I don't think can be done.

11. Mike~Sileck

Alright guys I just hooked this thing up to my S-series from JBL and I take back everything I said about needing an amp for my main setup. This thing ROCKS my house. I suppose Im just going to buy a 2 channel amp for zone 2. Although I dont need it anymore, its curious that they don't allow amp selection in the menu's, I mean flexibility is always best!

Thanks for all of the input!

Mike

12. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Glad to hear everything is working out. I have to wait til Thankgiving when I am back home (Boston) to purchase my Denon; either 3805 or 2805 depending on the reviews comparing both in the next few months.

Bottom line, enjoy your new toy!!