Denon 3805 auto setup opinions PLEASE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jon W., Jan 20, 2005.

1. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I told my wife I wanted the Denon mic for christmas so I could play with it. I have tried it several times and I think maybe I have come to the conclusion that it is a total waste of money. Let me explain:

1. It jacks my speaker levels up like whoa. FL +12, C +10, FR +12, SR +10, SB +7, SL +10, SUB -5. Is this normal? Could it be because my speakers aren't very efficient (86-87db)? Or maybe cause the sub gains are too hot?

2. The Auto EQ sounds like total crap in all modes to my ears. Gives it a real thin tinny sound compared to when its off.

Anyone care to shed some light on this or have a similar experience?

2. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Turned the sub gain down and had better results with the channel levels. Eq sounded a little better too. I think I'll just stick with the Radio Shack manual tune regardless.[​IMG]

3. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Jon, is it a standard microphone or is the Denon mic different? Also, in your honest opinion, now that you realized your sub may have been the cause, do you think it is worth using the auto setup or manual?

4. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I used the Denon mic, DM-S305, Its kinda flat looking.
    [​IMG]

Well its definitely better now, but worth the money? I'd have to vote no I guess. If you weren't very confident doing it manually then I guess it would be ok.

5. Kevin_F

I already know that I am not confident doing it manually, does the reciever have instructions or anything?

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I found it to work quite well in my room. It plotted the speaker distances well (except for the sub, which was expected) and set the levels spot on...according to my SPL meter anyway.

Mort

7. Kevin_F

Thanks Mort, that is all I am asking of the mike, to do as it is supposed to. [​IMG]

8. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I regret having bought the mic. It does work, but I already have the Radio Shack SPL meter.

9. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I just think a SPL meter is far better to keep you from second guessing yourself. I ran the auto setup about 10 times last night and got different results every time without ever moving the mic. I kept turning the sub gain down till it made my other speaker levels closer to 0. Every time I ran the test I even got different distances on the delay time. The speakers distance didn't vary a whole lot but it did vary and the sub was all over the place. When you see such variation each time then how can you really trust the room EQ? Turning the sub gain down on the sub itself to get all levels closer to the 0 mark made the room EQ sound totally different. How in the heck would that effect the sound of the EQ?
    Its a better investment and a cheaper one to buy an SPL meter. If you can't figure out how to use a SPL meter with all the posts and tutorials on here telling you how, then I seriously doubt your competence to operate the equipment you own. Sorry if that offends anyone but its not rocket science. [​IMG]

10. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

What about the 8 band equalization of the Denon AutoEQ? Sure, I measure the distance from the speakers, and use the SPL to equalize from the standard pink noise, but what about room reflections? The reason for the mic (for me) would be to get a flat response across the entire frequency spectrum. What you are suggesting is adding an equalizer to my system or perhaps getting a receiver that would have multiple test tones to adjust the volume to (that would be neat).

11. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I found the auto worked very well with speaker distances. Accurate and consistent. I don't trust the auto EQ, it may be accurate too but it is not possible to know for sure.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Ok but did you like,how it sounded after the auto Eq was done or not? Audio is mostly perception.

13. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

The whole reason I bought the mic was for the room EQ. When the EQ changed tone dramatically from lowering the sub gain I lost faith in it. I could understand the sub maybe overpowering certain frequencies but looks like it would set the sub level before trying to EQ therefore negating the effect the sub would have on such frequencies (if that makes sense). Having said that, the EQ sounded like total crap the first time, after I got the levels tamed down it actually sounded pretty good, but I think I like it better with no EQ. I wish I had True RTA and could measure what is really going on.

14. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I have a silly question, but, were you able to mount the mic an a tripod at your listening position, and at your ear height. This is important because depending on where you are standing, or what you are wearing, how you hold the mic, and how far away from you will affect certain frequencies as some will be absorbed by you, some will be reflected off you. If you hold the mic too low, your seats will absorb some frequencies as well. That is why it is important to use seats with low backs. My advice would be to try and mount the mic on a tripod, mic should be at ear level at your listening position. Turn the sub volume to halfway and perform auto setup. It is also important to remember to not have your seating area close to a wall. Most people have their seats up against a back wall, this happens to be the worst possible location to sit and the most difficult to eq.

Regards, Tom

15. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

My mic was mounted on a tripod at ear level, was never touched in between tests and I left the room during the tests. I have frech doors and actually had them closed and would start the test with the remote thru the glass of the doors. My seating is about a foot from the back wall but its a small room and their is no other option.

16. Kevin_F

How does the SPL meter work?

17. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

It works pretty well I think. Never off by more than a db which would be fine for someone without a real SPL meter.

18. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

In that case Jon, that was my .02 cents worth. I am not sure why the denon is not consistant with its auto set up function. Keep us posted.

Regards, Tom

19. dany

dany Supporting Actor

On my 2805,it keep setting my surrounds to lg. Also double checked volume and distance and using a tape and spl were more exact.

20. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ive ran into alot of people who use the Auto EQ with the denon Mic, set it up correctly, and then... they DONT TURN THE EQ ON. After completing the auto eq the reciever wil always default to the "off" position. The levels and distances all remain intact, the parametic EQ deaults to off. Using the remotes "Room EQ" button.... TURN IT ON.