Denon 3805 5.1 setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JimmyJ, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Auditioning

Just got a Denon 3805 receiver and want to know which posts I should connect my surround speakers to. The speakers are located behind me. I have them connected to A. Should it be connected to B or the Surround behind posts.

Thanks

2. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jimmy,
    You have your speakers connected correctly. In a 5.1 system your surround speakers are connected to "A". If you want to upgrade to either a 6.1, or 7.1 system you would connect the additional speakers to the "Surround Back" terminals.
    You also have to tell your system which speakers are being used. That occurs in the set up menus.

I have had my 3805 since May and am using a 7.1 set up. I like it very, very much.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The terminals marked A and B are for front speakers only. This is in case you want to connect one pair of front speakers for HT and another strictly for audio, or want to connect a second set of stereo speakers in another room or on your patio or whatever.

If you look carefully at the back of the receiver you will see that the A and B terminals are both grouped under the word "Front". Do not connect surround speakers to either of these sets of terminals.

If you have a 5.1 speaker setup, connect the left and right front to the terminals marked A on the back of the receiver. Connect the center channel to the terminals marked "Center", and connect the surrounds to the terminals marked "surround", not the terminals marked "surround back". Use the sub-out rca jack for the subwoofer cable.

If you have an owner's manual for the receiver there is a diagram showing where to connect all the speakers. This is usually toward the front of the manual, ahead of the setup instructions. Look for the word "Connections" in the table of contents, that will tell you what pages deal with connecting various components and speakers to the receiver, the speaker connections on a Denon manual are usually toward the end of the "Connections" section.

4. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Auditioning

Hey,

Thanks, for the help. I found the owner's manual wasn't very clear when it came to the 5.1 setup, So I thought I would double check with the experts. Now I guess its time to upgrade to a 7.1 speaker setup.

5. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

I don't have a 3805, but I'm pretty sure the 'a' surrounds are for side surround speakers (using dipoles for movies)& 'b' is for rear surround speakers (for music surround) The 3805 doesn't have a & b front selection.

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
  7. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Steve, You may be confusing it with the 2805. Oddly enough, it has the "A" and "B" for the fronts, but not the 3805, as Jeremy has so clearly shown. (I think this is even confusing for the Audio guys because several people at my local shop all told me the 2805 had no A/B, but were obviously wrong). Jimmy, are you thoroughly confused now?[​IMG]

8. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Auditioning

yes, im getting a little confused. I was always under the impression that the 5.1 surround speakers were to be placed behind you (also based on my cheap Sony reciever manual before), but the new Denon manual showed them placed on the side. So, this is what started me wondering that I had to wire them different for my setup.

So, does this mean since my surround sound speakers are placed behind my listen position I should put them on channel B or leave them on A.

Im just your average home stereo user if you could'nt tell, but who doesn't love good sound effects. Any suggestions for a good movie to test the limits of my system.

Thanks,

Jimmy

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Speaker A and B on the AVR 3805 are duplicates of eachother. They share the same signal and power amps. They are there so that if you want to choose between two pairs of speakers, you can. perhaps you have bipolar speakers on the side , and direct radiators in the back corners. You would choose one or the other to play back as your surround channels for a given piece of source material. You would not use them at the same time. If you wanted to go 7.1, you wou use the A terminals for the main surrounds, and the SURROUND BACK terminals for the back surrounds. But since you are only doing 5.1, all you need is the SURROUND A. Make sure to get the microphone and auto EQ your 3805!

10. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

Anything from Star Wars, LOTR's, Matrix, Terminators, and on and on. My favorite demo is Toy Story 2 - opening sequence. [​IMG]

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sorry for my mistake, I was indeed confused with the 2805.

My favorite recent release for demo of surround and sub effects is Master and Commander, If you can find a copy of Das Boot that's another really good one. Both have a lot of stuff going on in the surrounds besides explosions and such. Das Boot will have you running into the kitchen looking for a dripping faucet, and with M&C you can literally hear creaking seemingly from overhead from sailors walking on the deck above.

12. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Folks, I have a help request. I have the 3805, and KEF Q2DS Dipolar Surround speakers. They are plugged into Surround A, L & R.

Using the Auto setup, I keep getting an out of phase responce. I tried changing the +/- but that didn't solve anything. Any suggestions ?

Many Thanks

Guy

13. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

I think that is how most dipoles work. The dipole's drivers facing the back of the room will be out of phase with the their drivers facing the front of the room. So your dipoles will be half in phase and half out of phase. I think this is partly to keep them from canceling out the sound waves coming from the front speakers. Of course I'm just kinda paraphrasing something I read once upon a time and half talking out my butt but I think I may be right.[​IMG]

14. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

So to paraphrase :) The Denon auto setup will never work with Dipolar speakers ?

15. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Denon UK have got back to me, so for people out there looking at buying Dipolar speakers and using the Auto setup, take heed...

"I’m afraid there is no real solution due to the fact that dipoles are out of phase.

The only options you have are as already tried is connect them out of phase.

Also make sure you have no furniture, people etc between speaker and microphone.

Another option is to start it off then leave the room then come back when it has finished and see what has happened."

16. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

And now we know, thanks for the follow up.[​IMG]