Denon 3803 vs Yamaha rxv1400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rodman_M, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Rodman_M

Rodman_M Auditioning

which one of these receivers is better? The receiver would be used for both music and movies..

2. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Not really a fair comparison. You should be comparing the 3803 to the 2400, not the 1400.

3. Rodman_M

Rodman_M Auditioning

ok then which one the 2400 or the 3803?

4. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Good question, I'm wondering the same thing [​IMG] I'm also looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX. When I listened to the Denon and the Yamaha at Tweeter, there was a very distinct difference between them with both music and movies. With music, the Denon was much warmer. The Yamaha sounded a little tinny by comparison, not that it was tinny, just doing an A/B with the Denon it sounded that way. With movies (they used Jurassic Park 3), the Yamaha seemed to put much more emphasis on the ambient noise in the movie (footsteps, rain, running water, wind, etc.). It was cool to really hear all of the speakers in the setup working, but I wasn't sure if it was artificial. The Denon just seemed to have beefier sound during the movie playback.

I haven't done as in depth a listen with the Pioneer as of yet. There is a store near me that has both the Yamaha and the Pioneer, so I can do an A/B comparison with those two. But no one around here carries both Denon and Pioneer, so I can't A/B those ones.

At the moment I am leaning toward either the Yamaha or the Pioneer, because they seem to have a larger feature set than the Denon. I'm especially interested in Pioneer's MCACC and Yamaha's YPAO. If anyone has more firsthand knowledge of these three receivers, please add your two cents.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I am also looking at the Yamaha 2400 and the Denon 3803. There is no local dealer that sells both of these. I may have to make a road trip to a store that does.

Todd, what brand of speakers did you hear the comparison on.

6. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

They were Vienna Acoustics speakers, Bach model I believe.

7. dannyG

dannyG Agent

Alot of times a true comparison between receivers just depends what speakers you have.

Last week me and 2 friends got together at my house to compare receivers. We had a Yamaha 1400, Denon 3803 and a pio 45tx.
    My speaker setup is Rockets, 550's up front-200 cc-150's for rears and a svs. Room size is 15 x 22.
    We used several different cd's for music test. (country, rock, jazz) We used Gladiator, We Were Soldiers and Titan A.E. for dvd comparisons.
    The Yamaha provided more low end and better surround sound than the other two in regards to movies. Center channel performance was better with the Denon.
    As for as music, the Yamaha and Pioneer bested the denon.
    After all comparisons were complete all 3 of us agreed the Yamaha 1400 sounded and performed best.

P.S. By know means are we audio experts.

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

9. eli

eli Extra

I'M long time yamaha fanboy my receiver for more than 1.5 year is yamaha rx-v800 working in conjunction with other yamaha power amp p3200 who drives my infinity sm-150 speakers. now i'm seriously thinking about adding another receiver maybe rx-v1400 awesome unit especially this sound processor yamaha is apioneer in DSP NOW so my advice is getthis excellent receiver REGARDS Eli.