Denon 3803 vs Sony 7ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CliffA, Jan 20, 2003.

1. CliffA

CliffA Auditioning

I've been seriously considering a Denon 3803. One thing that made me hesitate, though, is their warranty policy.

So I did some poking around and saw that the Sony 7ES can be found online for pretty much the price of the 3803 from an "authorized" dealer.

How do these two receivers compare? The 7ES has more power, but what about features and sound quality?

While we're at it, what are other receivers, under say $1500 street price, that would be competitive? I'm looking for 7 channels with Dolby Digital EX support. Usage is 70% HT / 30% music.

Thanks for your help!

2. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

The DA4ES is more akin to the 3803. The DA7ES is the Sony "flagship".

3. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

not to mention the 4ES is very close to the 7ES. they use almost all the same parts, weigh the same, same dimensions etc, same front panel etc, 5yr warranty. The 7ES is not worth $1000 more for 3rd room outputs, a cumbersome touch-screen remote and 10watts more per channel

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I wouldn't exactly call the DA7ES a Flagship. I believe it is very close to the DA4es. Note that both use the same firmware for further proof.

5. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I used to have a Sony DA777ES, which WAS a Flagship. The DA7 has no business having a 7 in the part #. The 4 is the real deal.

6. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

Not to insult all the 4ES owners, but after having a few problems with my 5ES I was offered a 7ES but would have to wait almost two months for it, then I was offered my total purchase price back on the 5ES with the option to take a 4ES at a very reasonable price. After spending a day with the 4ES I went back and threw a fit! To call the 7ES remote cumbersome and think the 4ES is an improvement is well, not my opinion.

First off it is not learning, yes it has many presets granted, but what if you want to make the buttons go outside of the pretermited function. Second, if you want to type in a channel number you have to go thorough and scroll to every number. I use my 5ES for daily use TV/HT/MUSIC and even with just digital cable not being able to directly enter a channel number or set up the buttons to scroll through channels or view info is just not an option. The end result of my story is after bitching the regional Sony rep found an unopened 5ES for me and had that shipped. This all happened about two months ago and all in all I can say I am somewhat happy with Sony.

But back on topic the 4ES has a terrible remote, my girlfriends dad has an old 555ES and I think the 7ES and 555ES remotes are pretty close to each other in design. Having used this remote for hours of use I say it is not ideal for channel surfing but at least has the option to directly type in numbers directly. Also the visual display of sub menus and the option to set up personal user options makes it a great remote, not a pronto though.

7. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

Tim: the 4ES remote sucks. I never said it was better than the 7ES. I've used both of them at the stores, and I hated both of them. Maybe they just take some getting accustomed to.

8. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

Sorry if I seemed harsh Rick, I guess I am still bitter from my experience with Sony, going without your receiver for over a month and having it returned to have the same exact problem is frustrating. I think you are right the 7ES is not worth the $1000 over 4ES but honestly I don't think the 4ES is worth $600 when I had my 5ES for just under a $1000 when they first came out. In retrospect I am not sure my 5ES is worth a $1000 dollars to me? My only justification is that I do use second and third room controls daily. I am in college and have a roommate so sharing my equipment is a factor for me. I have my main unit in the living room for everyone to enjoy 6.1 surround. then second room is piped back so a set of Sony SAV self powered towers that double as my computer speakers. Then third room stereo powered goes into my bathroom for music enjoyment in the shower. It works out well for me, soon I hope to buy a rotel two channel amp and a set of paradigm studio 40's to take over bedroom listening duties. then dedicate the SAV's to just computer use. All of this might be on topic of the original question if you look at it as an example of usability.