Denon 3803 VS. 2803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dalton, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I have a friend interested in these 2 units. He is not interested in the component video upconversion of the 3803 and will be using a three channel amp for the mains and center. Is there any advantage to getting the 3803? They both seem to have the same proccessing features and with my friends 3 ch. amp, power really isn't a concern since i'm sure the 2803 will do fine with the back 4 channels. Is there any major difference i may have overlooked here?

Thanks,
    Dalton

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The 3803 has slightly better DACs and Pure Direct Stereo. Personally I don't think it would be a big enough improvement to justify the cost.

The 3803 has 2 sets of surround binding posts, and the 2803 has 2 sets of fronts. So if they have a combination of mono/bi/dipole speakers for surrounds the 3803 will allow you to select which you want for movies/music.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Thanks Brian. The surrounds will be direct radiating towers. Looks like the 2803 is probably the best choice for the money in this situation. Any other input is welcome.

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Dalton- I just noticed that E-Cost has refurb 3802's for $449(?). Might be a nice compromise between the 3803 & 2803 and at a very reasonable price. There seems to be a lot of 3802 owners around and most of them seem very pleased with this receiver which is essentially a 3803 minus a few features that may be of no interest to your friend..