Denon 3803 to 5803 upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnCro, Jan 30, 2003.

1. JohnCro

JohnCro Extra

f

2. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

For that kind of money I would look at seperates. I think you would be crazy to spend that kind of money on a stand alone reciever.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Depending upon what your end goals are, i.e., music vs. HT it could be a down grade or a wash. I cant see it being an upgrade in any case. In direct 2 channel music the 3803 seems like a very capable prepro (atleast on paper) thats been built upon the 5803 design. Add to it an external amp of decent quality (which the Adcom very much is) and you get a sound that is atleast at par with a standalone 5803 in 2 channel direct mode. Now the HT performance is a whole another ball game that the 3803 and Adcom will excell againt the standalone 5803 any time of the day. So I cant see how a standalone 5803 would be an upgrade in your case. I am sure you will get differing opinions on this subject and so I suggest the best judge are your ears and you should if possible spend time listening to both setups in your system. Also MLs are a difficult load to drive and frequently dip down to 3 ohm so a separate amp will always be better at powering them.

MHO.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Exactly what's prompting you for an upgrade? Is it the amp section or the preamp section? The 3803 should be able to do as good a job as the Rotels and the Outlaws of the world in that price range(IMHO!!). If the amp seems underpowered then it is highly unlikely that the 5803 will suffice.
    You might want to step upto the Anthems or B&Ks if you want that slight edge you are loosing on the 3803. I believe you have a great system and the 5803 will not be an upgrade at all. Save the money and add to your DVD collection. [​IMG]