Denon 3803 & Surround Hookup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Won, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

Kind of a simple question, but thought I'd throw it out there. I've got a 3803 and a 5.1 setup. With only 1 set of rear surrounds, should they be connected as "A" or "B"? With a 5.1 are the surrounds considered surround speakers or back surrounds?

I've got them connected to "A" surround and there is ambient sound in DD, but I'm wondering if I've got it connected wrong.

Thanks.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Steve: I run my 3803 as a pre/pro in a 5.1 configuration. You want to chose the "A" surrounds only (as "Small" or "Large") and show the "B" surrounds and back surrounds as "None".

3. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

Thanks Chuck, you've confirmed I've got it set up correctly.

For a 7.1 config, I gather that they should be connected to the "B" surround? If so, would the surround back speakers be like a rear center channel? I see that surround back can be either 1 or 2 speakers.

Looks like this beast can support 9.1 speakers, if you have 2 mains, 1 center, 2 surrounds, 2 rear surrounds and 2 surround back. I had not seen this type of config before, if I'm correct.

Thanks.

4. Chuck Kent

Steve: When you go 6.1 or 7.1, you want to turn on the back surrounds (which are indeed the rear center channel(s).) The only time that the "B" surrounds would be used in if you want to run 2 different kinds of left and right surrounds. The most common application is for users who want dipole surrounds for movies and monopole surrounds for music based surround sound. The 3803 lets you choose which surrounds you would like to use with which mode. (Or, you can even run them at the same time.)

BTW, for now, there isn't 9.1 (and technically, there isn't 7.1...it's 6.1 with a second speaker to cover the rear center channel.)

5. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

Chuck, Thanks for clarifying this for me.

In anything but a large room, what is the benefit of the surround back speakers? I do realize you need movies encoded with DTS-ES or DD-EX, but haven't heard a 6.1 system. Do these additional speakers make a big diff?

This does help me though, since I had thought that a 6.1 or 7.1 meant that you had the mains, surrounds and the additional speakers were supposed to go along the side of the room between the mains and surrounds. Now I know better and can pass this info to my friends that have interpreted this incorrectly as well.

Thanks.

6. Chuck Kent

The rear center(s) do make a difference. But it isn't leaps and bounds better to my ears. My feelings are that if you can accomodate them, go for it. But if you don't have room or can't afford them, you not missing critical information.

7. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

8. JonStern

JonStern Agent

Brian, for 7.1 you connect your rear speaker(s) to the SurrBack/Zone2 terminals. Note that you can connect either 1 or 2 speakers--the receiver's setup screen will let you specify how many you got (I believe if you have only 1 you should use the Left terminals).

Denon's Surround A and Surround B connections are an entirely different issue. Most people will just connect their regular surround speakers to Surround A and not use the Surround B terminals. As was pointed out by Chuck above, you ideally would have dipole surrounds for music sources and monopole for music, meaning 2 different pairs of surround speakers, in which case you would use both the Surround A and B terminals.