Denon 3803 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave T, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Will the 3803 perform bass managment for the multi channel inputs for dvd-Audio? I have asked people at the high end shops and they said no. I now look at Cruchfields sight and they make it sound like you can. I just purchased an Onkyo txsr-800 and like it. But, if the denon does bass management for dvd audio without having to have it on the dvd player this might make me re-think my purchase.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. DonT

DonT Stunt Coordinator

dave, accprdign to the denon web site, it does not. it is not mentioned in the description of the 3803. buy either of the pioneer elite dvd players that do sacd and dvd audio. they both have bass management.

3. Dave T

Dave T Auditioning

Don, I know what you are saying. Here is the paragraph that says it does. This may be incorrect.

24-bit/192kHz Analog-to-Digital Conversion: The AVR-3803 is capable of 24-bit, 96kHz or 192kHz A/D conversion, which improves signal-to-noise and dynamic range by approximately 10dB. This A/D conversion and DSP processing can be done on external input signals, including the multi-channel analog input (up to 7.1 channels), thus making it capable to perform bass management and delay processing of DVD-Audio signals.

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Dave- Although analog to digital conversion would be considered a feature of the Denon and could possibly come in handy in some situations, this conversion would completely void all the true benefits of SACD/DVD-A. To my knowledge, only bass mgt. offered by the machines themselves can be considered legitimate.

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Dave- I forgot about the ICBM. Best of luck, Jack

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I just picked up a 3803 last week. I don't think it does. I read the manual and it doesn't sound like it either. I don't have an SACD or DVD-Audio player so I can't really test it. (FWIW, I run my 3803 as a pre/pro and have an Outlaw ICBM between it and a 5 channel amp.)

7. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

sounds a bit messy to me; going from a digital stream (sacd) to analog in the sacd player, than back to digital in the recivers chips.
    why cant it stay digital all the way. let the player read the info, and one machine decipher it. no?