Denon 3803 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnChu, Jan 17, 2004.

1. JohnChu

JohnChu Stunt Coordinator

Ok... I have an denon 3803 and a sony dvd player DVP-N725P.. I know if you put it at 00 db is should be really loud.. the funny thing is when I put an DVD and turn it to 00 db .. it's not that loud .. but if I put an CD in there and turn it to 0 db .. it's really loud.. same as if I switch it to the tuner... it really loud to. I have I set the coaxial out.

John

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The average level on DVDs are usually not as loud so that it can be louder at the peaks. There is nothing wrong with your setup.

I usually play DVDs at about -10 to -5 on my 3803, and everything else around -30.

3. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

John, you should invest in a radio shack SPL meter (~40.00) and calibrate all of your speakers. You have individual speaker level adj. on the 3803 and are able to use 00 as the reference level indicator. By doing so you'll find that ~15dB is more than enough volume on most DVD titles.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I agree that eveything is normal.

Many CDs have compressed dynamic ranges so that there is little difference between how loud or how soft they get.

DVDs are much different. Going from a whisper to a roar is really BIG. You have to turn things up louder when dealing with programming that has a wider dynamic range. Typical dialog with most movies is a good bit lower in volume than the loud sound effects. So to hear the dialog clearly, you need to turn it up...