denon 3803 or hk 630 v. rotel 1065

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SteveJSR, Mar 16, 2004.

1. SteveJSR

SteveJSR Extra

I'm looking for an av receiver to power my paradigm studio 40's. I listen to more music than ht. till now I had it narrowed down to the denon and the hk, with slight leaning toward the hk. now somebody tells me about the 1065. Is it worth the extra cash? haven't auditioned one yet. Has anyone out there done so? would appreciate your help. thanks a lot. (how is the 1065's reliability?)

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

No IMO you are better off spending about the same amount of money on the new 1056 receiver and a 1080 or 1075 power amp. That way you'd be set for 7.1 and have much better amplifers.

Reliability is very good..all rotel gear has a 5 year warrenty and their service is second to none. Rotel also has a long history of upgrading their units via free firmware patches and they tend to hold their value better then Denon's, Pioneers and Marantz's etc.

3. SteveJSR

SteveJSR Extra

Andrew, thanks for your reply. would the hk be in the running at all?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

As a pre amp only the HK wouldn't be a bad choice either...its going to sound quite different then the Rotel though so you'd have to listen to both and decide which sound you prefered...which will have a lot to do with the acoustics of your room and the speakers you've choosen etc. Also the Rotel has a few other things going for it like the better resale and customer care (see Club Rotel)

5. Kris_Smith

Kris_Smith Agent

I own an HK630 and am quite sure you will be happy with the results if you should decide on this.....

I thought about the Rotel also, but I don't want to drive all over to find a dealer when CC is right next door.....

I would say stick to the HK.....The HK not only has alot of features and power, but provides it all with revolutionary style....

The Rotel looks rather bland, but I was always taught it's what's on the "inside" that counts.....That's where Rotel excels....

You should Buy the HK and test it out....Take it back if you are not satisfied.....If you like it keep it, as I do not think the Rotel will provide you with a major improvement in sound......Meaning you won't question yourself "Should I have bought the Rotel instead"....

6. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

the H&K will offer various features that the rotel wont, such as VMAx, ezSet, and Logic 7...

the rotel will offer some stuff that the H&K won't, such as upgradeability and no fans...

you should look a the difference in features and see if missing any are dealbreakers...if not, i have the following suggestions,

go listen the h&k and the rotel using their own amplifier sections, decide which is better...after that, look at the two, using the same amp section (i.e. preouts to the same amplifier) and see which you like better...this will give you an idea which parts you like better of each...if you like the h&K or the rotel better in both parts, well then you know which way to go...

also, i would say that if you are really looking in the upper 1k region (considering 1066/1080 or 1065) you should really compare the h&k 7300 at its more in that price range...the 7300 has a built in 480p scaler for all sources that you may like...

for the record, i have owned both rotel and h&k (for girlfriend's system) and i like both companies...i think rotel is better from an audio point of view and the h&k is better on a features point of view...

Rich

7. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Although I am somewhat of a Denon fan for an all-round receiver choice- I would take the Rotel if you want great musicality.

It holds its own on HT, but music is where Rotel really shines.

IMHO, the Rotel matches very well with the Paradigm 40's, although those 40's will sound good with any of the three you mentioned, with the music side giving an edge to the Rotel.

8. CathyFr

CathyFr Auditioning

I love Rotel for it's musicality, and quality workmanship. If you have the money go for it. I still have my 14 yr old Rotel RCD-855 cd player. It is the workhorse of my system.

If I could have afforded it, I would have gotten another Rotel when I got into HT. Instead I got the Denon AVR-3802 which came closest (to me)in matching my old Rotel RTC-850 & RB-850 musically.

I checked out the current line of Rotels & they were just outstanding I just wished they offerred financing, because I would have been all over one of their Receivers!

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Grego you really need to come over and I'll have you saying that Rotels do HT very very well[​IMG] There' many a Denon fan that have now converted over to Rotels[​IMG]

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'm a Rotel convert. Affordable hi-fi at its best. Very highly recommended!

11. SteveJSR

SteveJSR Extra

hey, everybody,

thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. You given me a lot to think about. At the moment, I'm thinking that I would like to give the Rotel gear a serious listen. I've always liked the Denon and HK but from what some of you are saying, the Rotel is worth the price. I'll have a chance to audition the Rotel in a week or two. further advice is always welcomed. thanks.