1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 3803 impressions and questions for owners.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Barnett, Dec 9, 2003.

1. James Barnett

James Barnett Auditioning

Just got my 3803 at the good price thanks to this forum. I hooked it up and everything works great. It sounds a little bright, but that can be fixed with tone controls. DPL II is fantastic, don't know how I got along without it.

The S-Video to Component upconversion seems less that perfect however, as I see artifacts and the colors seem washed out compared to S-video direct to TV. I also have a question. Is there anyway to change channel levels on the fly using the remote without having to go through the test tones? My cheapo Kenwood could do this and I found it a very valuable feature. Sometimes you need to boost the center channel or adjust a surround speaker, and most importantly, fiddle with subwoofer output. I haven't found a way to do this yet, I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i believe it is the same as previous models just press the round button near the bottom of the remote and look at the display on the 3803, adjust accordingly.

also, that was in the manual.

3. James Barnett

Tried all the buttons, no luck. All I get is mode and tone change. No channel levels.

4. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

James,

Make sure the remote is in AMP mode and press the CH SELECT ENTER button (the round button in the middle of the 4 directional arrow buttons). The on screen display should say something like "Front Left" with a decibel reading next to it. Use the left and right arrow buttons to adjust the level between -12 and +12 db. Hit the CH SELECT ENTER button again to move to the Center speaker, adjust the level, and so on. This info is also on p. 55 of the 3803's manual. Hope this helps.

Darren

5. James Barnett

Thanks Darren, I was just playing with it now and I discovered that the channel levels are displayed on the receiver front, not the OSD. I can't get any channel levels to display on the OSD.

6. Chris Bedard

Chris Bedard Stunt Coordinator

Yes, they don't display on the OSD, only on the receiver front panel, but I can read the display fine from the couch. [​IMG]

7. James Barnett

Now I see. Thanks everyone. But are you less impressed with the video upconversion than you thought you would be?

8. John S

John S Producer

I have not seen high quality video conversion on any reciever yet....

It requires stellar comb filters, which are expensive.