Denon 3803 - diff subwoofer levels for diff sources?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MichaelDDD, May 30, 2004.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I've read the manual, but couldn't find anything.

I calibrated to 85db using the Avia disc. Movies are great. But when playing CDs or the radio, the sub level is way too low. I'd rather not have to manually change the sub level everytime I change sources.

Is there some way to set diff levels for diff sources? Thanks.

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I have a cheap Sony receiver right now but I am looking to upgrade and was wondering if any/which receivers do this. I know exactly what you mean, I don’t have my setup calibrated yet but for movies my sub (HSU STF-2) sounds great with the level on 10:30 or 11 o clock, but for music I barely get any bass at that level and like to put it up to 12 or 1 o clock. It is kind of annoying to adjust the level on the sub like this every time I change sources, and I would love a receiver that I could set up so the bass is boosted a bit for music.

3. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Matt,

My old Kenwood VR409 was like this as well. I'm kind of surprised, as the 3803 is a HUGE step up from the Kenwood. It does about 100 things the Kenwood doesn't; there's GOT TO be a setting in here somewhere. [​IMG]

4. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Bumpage. Anyone?

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i presume you mean that you calibrate your dvd player, but when you play cds via a separate cd changer, the sub level is off. you CAN set the sub level independently for each input device and the receiver will remember that setting as you switch between devices.

you use those same exact buttons on the remote that you use to change the speaker levels during calibration to change the sub level for each input source.

6. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

On the 3803, you can adjust sub levels to be different by mode. So if you run the CD player as Stereo and the DVD player as Dolby Digital, you can indeed have different sub levels by input. But if you are running the same modes for both players, then you're stuck with the same overall level settings.

A couple of things to point out. First, don't forget that for Dolby Digital and DTS, you have both a subwoofer level and a separate LFE level. If you tweak the relationship between the 2, you may find a better blend from source to source where the basic subwoofer volume level is involved. (In my own case, while I do agree that absolute level settings to a certain specification is a good baseline (your 85db spec for eg.), I have found that on occasion I have needed to veer from it for the most satifying result (to my ears.)

BTW, the procedure to adjust the level setting separately for each mode is found on the lower half of page 55 in the 3803 manual. (This is also where you can turn off the subwoofer for individual modes (yet leave it on universally.))

7. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thank you Scott and Chuck. I haven't been using the 3803 for all that long...4 days, on and off. :b So I'm really ingnorant of it's nuances. Can ya'tell? [​IMG]

I didn't want to touch the sub level while playing the tuner or CD, lest I screw w/my finely tuned DD settings.

I watched U571 tonight....awesome! Very happy with the setup.

8. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor