Denon 3803 DD vs Stereo/Direct Volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamesDB, Nov 6, 2003.

1. JamesDB

JamesDB Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me why when I watch a movie in DD I have to turn the volume up higher than when I listen to a CD in Stereo or Direct to get the same volume? Are DD signels sent significantly cooler to the Denon than CD signals?

Am I doing something wrong or have others experienced the same thing?

James

2. JamesDB

BTW, forgot to mention that I am using the same player for both the DVD and the CD...

Thanks

James

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

James: My thought is that the difference is dynamic range.

Even though they can handle a healthy amount of dynamic range, most CDs (especially the last few years) are not mixed with very much difference between the loudest passage and the softest one. If the sound is squeezed or compressed to a narrower range (the softer sounds boosted some and the louder ones toned down a bit), it can be recorded at an overall higher level.

Modern films are different. Most are mixed so that they maximize their dynamic range. The difference between typical dialog (which is still not the softest sound) and the loudest sound that occurs in the movie is typically set at 27 db. Something that most CDs don't even approach...

Here is a good article about Dolby Digital Dialog Normalization. It talks about dynamic range and explains it all much better than I ever could... http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...on-6-2000.html

4. JamesDB

Chuck,

Thanks for that answer... Its something that's been bothering me for a year now since I got the Denon. The article is very informative. I think you are right about it. Yes CD's do tend to have major compression. I didn't realise this was not done for movies.

James

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I don't think this has anything to do w/Denon,other than settings.I have a 3803 and many DD/dts concerts are louder than cd's,many cd's are louder than DD.