What's new

Denon 3803 Cutting off at power-up???? (1 Viewer)

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
I moved the carpet in the living room this morning. I moved the surrounds across the room to clean the floor. I never disconnected any connections.

When I put everything back together, my receiver (Denon 3803 - 3 months old) seemed to hickup. When I turn on the power, it begins to power-up and then cuts-out. The standby light blinks. If I press power again, it turns off. Next press of power, same thing.

Any hints? Ideas? Many thanks......

Mark

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Get a carpet nail snagged through a surround speaker wire? That will cause a short which will send the receiver into "Protect" mode.

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Sam:

Thanks. I was hoping you were onto something. I unplugged everything this morning and the receiver is still cutting-out. I tried the re-initializiation procedure and, while it worked, the receiver still will not power-up properly.

Anybody else have any ideas? Or, anyone have experience with Denon service? I bought the unit from 6ave.com. Suggestions for service would be most appreciated.

Mark

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Try the "re intitialize microprocessor" procedure. Its listed in the manual. I dont think it'll help, but it cant hurt. You may need to re-calibrate, though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mark, make sure, one last time, that everything has been connected properly. Look for exposed speaker-wire terminal leads that may be touching one another. Check the fuse as well. If everything appears to be in order, and the unit still cuts out, you need to call Denon's service number immediately. And my experience with Denon's service unit has been good (though others have reported otherwise). Luckily, the unit still is under warranty.

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks all. I actually disconnected everything from the unit and tried it....no luck. I tried the re-initialization and that didn't work. Today I spoke with Denon and they've recommended bringing it in....damn.

Thanks for all the thoughts....

Mark

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I just saw this thread. If it means anything, I had the same exact problem with a new 3802 unit. I exchanged it for a demo unit (the store was out-of-stock, the model was just coming out) the next day and haven't had any problems since.

My original thread:
My original posting about the problem

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
The EXACT same thing happened to me last night with my 3802.

It is well out of warranty and I wonder if there is anything I could check out if I open the thing up?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Tom

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Tom:

I will be taking my 3803 in on Monday and will let you know what the repair guy says. I assume you have tried the reinitialization. If not, definitely give that a try. Usually, you hold two buttons down while plugging the unit in.....check the manual.

Mark

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark.

I tried that the first night but it won't stay on long enough for it to take effect.

Mine is also going into the shop Monday at least for a diagnosis. If it's an expensive fix then I'll probably scrap it and get a new 3805. Nothing like a forced upgrade. ;)

Tom

David Judah

Screenwriter
I have a friend with an old 1801 and it's doing the same thing. I tried all the things suggested here with no effect. It's going to service; hopefully, it won't be expensive to fix(for you guys and him).

DJ

Scott R. Scherr

Stunt Coordinator
My Denon 2800, 5 years old, has been doing that off and on and lately it has gotten worse where during any action scene it shuts down. I have disconnected it for fear of damaging my speakers. I checked my wires, ventilation, etc. I am convinced that it is a problem in the power supply.

I called my dealer who said it is not worth fixing. They want like $125.00 to look at it and said that a power supply problem is going to be expensive to repair.

Denon seems to have a problem with this.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.