What's new

Denon 3803 & Bose acoustimass 16, good marriage ? (1 Viewer)

sameerv

Auditioning
Hi,

I am trying to get some idea on how my selection pans out with comparable other systems. I have made up my mind about the receiver. Heres what I am thinking of putting together.
Denon 3803 and Bose Acoustimass 16 speaker system.
I haven't actually heard acoustimass 16, but I do have a Bose system already and do not have any complaints. I would welcome input on corresponding alternatives. All help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Sameer

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
sameerv,

Just my two cents here, but you asked... so now you shall receive.

In my humble opinion, you would do a great dis-service to the 3803 by pairing it with any small bose speaker. The 3803 is a superb receiver and would make those small cubes sound even worse than they already are. For the price that you'll pay for the bose speakers, you can purchase speakers the likes of Klipsch, NHT, Def Tech, Rockets, Diva, the list goes on and on which would totally destroy the sound quality of the bose.

Have I had bose, yes. Matter of fact, I still have a set of 301s in my living room and dont mind them, but the small cubes (again IMHO) are not that great.

NOW, if all you listen to is elevator music, with no mids or bass, then disregard my entire post cause the cubes will work for this type of music :)

Here is a little snippet from their website:

Surround yourself with riveting movie sound and superb musical performances with our best 6.1-channel home entertainment speaker system. The Acoustimass® 16 speaker system pairs with your 6.1-channel components to place you in the middle of the action—without bulky equipment overpowering your décor.

MSRP: $1498.00

"without bulky equipment overpowering your décor"

I find this too funny

On the other hand, if your significant other wears the pants, not too much you can do, but take a deep breath...exhale and call Bose Customer Service to place your order.

:):):):)

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
When I think of all the speakers I have auditioned and recall wich I disliked the most.....I come up with Bose.

If you already haven't, you owe it to yourself to at least audition some alternatives such as:
- Wharfedale Diamonds or Evo's
- PSB
- Paradigm
- Athena
- JBL
- Klipsch

sameer

Auditioning
Hi Sameer,

Another Sameer here - from Nepal.

I too owned a Bose speaker system (Accoustimass 10) and was very happy with it (for 5 years !!) till I heard my brother's set-up - the Wharfedale Diamonds. I sold off my Bose within a week to a friend who was very happy because he was looking for *any* Bose speakers to buy (Bose marketing got to him, I guess), and they are hard to come by in a country like Nepal. With my new Wharf Diamonds, I hear sounds I've never heard before. they can't be beat for the price (Mike_Gr seems to agree with me too). I shall be watching my entire DVD collection again with my new Wharf Diamonds, and hear what I'd been missing with the Bose.

- Sameer

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Sameer from Nepal,

How could you do that to your friend? Friends don't let friends buy Blose, much less sell it to them ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Samerrv, I would suggest that you spend some time comparing the Acoustimass 16 to some other systems in the same price range. Even though you won’t be able to make a direct comparison, Ultimate Electronics, Circuit City and Tweeter here in Dallas sell Bose and are able to demonstrate their systems for you. You can then pop into the listening room next door and check out some other systems (Polk, Kilpsch, JBL, Infinity, etc.) in the same price range.

You will then be in an informed position. Now you may prefer the Bose sound and if so, that is best for you. You might also like the styling of the cubes and find that it best fits into your home. Again that would be your preference and requirement.

I’d just urge you to see what can be had in that price range.

I would also suggest that you consider some of the Internet companies. Ascend, Axiom, AV123 (Rockets) all make very fine products and IMO, they tend to hit a better price point than the B&M stores.

For example AV123 is selling their
ELT system for $900 and as part of a package with a Denon 1804 for $1,250. I know that they will also package a 3803 if that is your desire.

I have heard this system and it is an outstanding value, especially for HT, as the center speaker is a very fine speaker indeed.

I’m pretty sure that there are some ELT systems in the Dallas area, whose owners would demonstrate them.

Good luck on your decision. Remember it is what sounds best to you and what fits in your home the best.

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Just say no to Bose with that nice of a receiver especially.

Lew is recommending a very good package, take a look at it.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Just to add a little something. If you like the size and looks of the Bose system, why not try the Home Theater Direct Middies?

http://www.htdaudio.com/htdmiddies.html

You can get them in white or black, and they are about the same size.

If you don't care about the system being that small, you have sooo many other choices that will sound better than Bose for less money.

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I have never paid that much attention to Bose and the pricing. The acoustiass 16 is really $1500? I am simply amazed. I have walked past this stuff in the stores laughing at the quality and people actually considering it. This set must cost bose $100-$150 to build, if that. On top of that they have paper cones. What trash! If you buy bose you have to be an uninformed buyer with way too much cash to spend. I wonder what the margins are on this junk?

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
John, you are correct. Maybe it would have been better if had said starched bounty paper towels. I have seen the drivers on this bose set and they are just cheaply made- which was my ultimate point. There was probably a more accurate way to state bose quality problems than just saying paper. I know there are some quality paper drivers out there. Dynaudio drivers I have used in the past come to mind.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I'd complain more about the Tuppeware containers they put the paper whizzer "drivers" in. I steered my father in law away from the Bose and to a Klipsch setup. He loves it. Another setup to consider if size is a constriant is the Energy take 5 set. I think the 3803 is a little overkill for a small set of speakers. JMHO.

Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've seen their cones too. I wasn't trying to knock you Chet. They do look rediculously cheese-ball.

In a sense, it's not Bose that has the problem, it's the people who buy their stuff. Bose is an example of a company that has done an excellent job of marketing. They have created an image that people believe in and desire, which in turn makes them money, which is the point of a business, isn't it? Their aim is not to be the best sounding product out there (whether they claim that or not), and they certainly are not. The beef I have with Bose is not that they make an average sounding product, it's that they charge so much for so little, but in the end, it's stil the people that will pay those prices that keep the prices that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks