What's new

Denon 3803 audio mode question (1 Viewer)

william^h

Auditioning
When watching regular TV (through DTV) what audio mode should I use?

There are Dolby PL II Cinema, Neo, Emulation modes.

Does DTV send signals down in 5.1 or is that just HDTV signals?

I'm assuming if the audio coming from DTV is 2 channel I should use one of the NEO modes?

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as it's OK with her, it's all good...

Personally, I usually listen to things in whatever format they are presented in, stereo, 5.1 DD/DTS, etc... I rarely find myself using DSPs to simulate surround. Definitely with music, I don't use DSPs, but for the odd stereo DVD movie or some TV, I do.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
digital DTV can be purchased, can't it? if so, and with a satellite receiver that'd decode it, you CAN get 5.1 audio.

otherwise, i'd use PLIIcinema for tv surround sound. or the neo thing.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
As the others have said, there is no "right" answer. It's whatever you prefer.

As far as DPLII, the inventor, Jim Fosgate uses DPL II Music mode for both music and movies/TV. DPL II Music allows you to control the soundfield by giving you 3 parameters to adjust. DPL II Cinema doesn't have any of those setting. From my listening comparisons, I prefer the Cinema mode for TV/movies. So it's a personal pference thing...

DTS:NEO6 also offers both Cinema and Music modes, with the Music mode having a center width adjustment. But as with DPL II, it's up to you what to use.

One other thought is that DPL II only supports a 5.1 setup. If you have surround back speaker(s), DTS:NEO6 or the WIDESCREEN mode may be better choices for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks