Denon 3803 anytime soon??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    does anybody know when the replacement for the 3802 is set to be released? will the price be the same?

2. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with Denon USA about two weeks ago regarding purchasing from an authorized dealer, if the 1082 was EXACTLY the same as the 3802 (which it is) and a couple other things, one of which was - when is the 3802's replacement due? He claimed that there was nothing in the pipeline from Denon because, for one, there hasn't been any movement in encoding and that right now DTS-ES, DD-EX, DD5.1 and DTS and PLII are pretty much it. IF there were some new advance in decoding or encoding then they'd be looking at it but right now their focus has been on the 5803 and there are no plans for a 3803.

I took it with a grain of salt since it was from a sales guy but he was very straight with the rest of the stuff and seemed to know his stuff.

3. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I would tend to think the guy was being straight. It appears to me the main reason for the "03" designation in the 5803 is the THX Ultra 2 certification and the 3802 is not THX Ultra certified there is really no reason to upgrade it. I would expect a 4803 fairly soon though.

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The only upgrade I can see right now is Firewire. Since there is not much other hardware out there to attach to (set top boxes, VCRs, DVD players, PVRs etc.) and some still questions about what Fireware can and can't do; Denon shouldn't be in a rush to replace the 3802.

5. Erich S

Erich S Agent

What enhancements do you expect a 4803 would have over the 4802? I know THX Ultra2 requires component video switching. Do you think Denon will add automatic size/level/delay setting like the Pioneer VSX-49TX?

6. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Erich,

I made the same statement that you made about Ultra 2 THX certification and was corrected by Davis Lab engineer (Jay) on AVS forum that Composite to SVIDEO conversion is NICE and offered on Davis Lab's Processors one, this IS not a requirement for Ultra 2 THX certification...

This was futher coroborate by Sonic Frontiers/Anthem engineer/technician when I ask if their Ultra 2 THX certification will have VIDEO CONVERSION as specified for Ultra 2... He basically said I was mistaken and repeated what the Davis Lab engineer stated...

So I don't think 3803 (or whatever the new replacement 3802 will be called) will necessarily have video conversion to Component... Pioneer and Denon by co-incidence/design both have video conversion and Ultra 2 THX certification...

Hope this helps... ?

-Alex