Denon 3803 (and others) Signal Detect - 6th Channel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KenRen, Sep 27, 2004.

1. KenRen

KenRen Stunt Coordinator

All,

Finally added my rear center channel (2 speakers). When watching DD EX and DTS ES DVDs, the 6th channel signal detect light on the reciever never lits up.

Currently Auto detect chosen for all inputs.

Yes, I get sound to the rear center speakers but I think the receiver is just using some DSP to produce it. Any ideas?

Also, just hooked up the optical output from my D* SD sat box. Recorded a pay for view last night. When I watched it, though the promo said DD sound, my receiver only went to PLAII sound. ???

KenRen

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    EX is a matrix format, not discrete. Try a DTS-ES movie, such as Gladiator, and see if it lights up.

Dolby Digital may be mono all the way to 6.1, so DD does not mean the signal is automatically 5.1. However, the receiver should not default to DPL/PLII when fed a true Dolby signal. This would suggest something is not configured correctly, most likely in the sat box's digital audio settings. Also there is a big difference between Dolby Surround, a matrix format, and Dolby Digital, and some people get the two confused.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The signal detect light will only come on when it detects a true 6.1 channel source like in Gladiator or LOTR. For everything else you have 3 options.

If you hit the button labeled "back" on the bottom right of the remote it will cycle through 3 options:

Surround Back Matrix: It will use the EX or ES decoders to pull information out of the surround channels and put it in the surround back speaker.

Surround Back ON: It will copy the information in the surround speakers to the surround back speakers:

Surround Back OFF: Play back in true 5.1 with the surround back speakers getting no signal.

2nd, how did you record the PPV? Unless you have a digital receording device that can capture the entire DD bitstream, you most likely just recorded the stereo sound, even though DD was present at the time of the event.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DOH, missed that he recorded PPV. Yep, most likely you picked up a stereo downmix on your recording, not the DD stream.

5. KenRen

KenRen Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, you were right. Put in Gladiator and choosing DTS, blink, on comes the signal detect light. Same with LOTRs.

Deleted the sat reccording but it was pointed out to me that it was probably Dolby Surround source, hence the PLII demod by the receiver. By the way, the PLII wasn't bad.

So, everything is working. Thanks for your help.

KenRen