What's new

Denon 3803: 4 surrounds.... wiring config, which is better (1 Viewer)

Robert Wize

Auditioning
Currently for the rec. mentioned (I have 7.1 setup), I have surrounds A (side dipoles) & B (monopoles to side & behind focal point). My 'Q' is the following: I know I'm not listening to true 7.1 code, it's DSP from rec., but should I be utilizing the monpoles, the pair, as a back surrounds? I can get true direct 6.1 from dvd (dts-es?).... not being processed within rec., right, wrong? I will ultimately physically experiment, but I was wanting to pick some of the brains on the forum.

Which would be a more realistic sound field, the rear surrounds playing same track as sides or sides with back surrounds (center backs, right?)........????

Those w/ the 3803 may have intimate knowledge... I just got it.... & realize maybe the answer is in the manual somewhere.... I didn't see anything explaining in great detail.

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The 3803, in my opinion should be used as 6.1/7.1 as much as possible. Rear sides and rear backs should be utilized, in a particularly long room with multiple seating rows, 2 pair of sides provide good dividends, so at that point you would have a 9 speaker 7.1 setup, I own a Denon 4802, and I believe the 3803 has connections as well for this configuration.

DD Ex/THX-Ex, DTS both matrix and descreet, DTS NEO:6, make excellent use of 6.1 and 7.1 setups.

I kind of got lost in your question somewhat, but I think I gave my take on it at least. lol

Robert Wize

Auditioning
Sorry, John. I know it seems a bit twisted around, but I was hoping with all of the 3803 owners round here they'd decipher my q correctly?

To clarify:

I guess I'm asking, with four surrounds available, config the four speakers as....

Surround Left A
Surround Right A
Surround Left B
Surround Right B

OR

Surround Left A
Surround Right A
Surround Back Left A
Surround Back Right B

Does this help? The side dipoles do not change in the two config's. It's the monopoles.... use as backs or in conjunction with the dipoles. My understanding is with the config listed above first, the 3803 is sending the same signal to the left A & B surrounds? With the other config the backs are "different" from the side surrounds (A)....

does this make it easier or more difficult to understand ?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Surround Left (side)
Surround Right (side)

Surround Back Left (rear)
Surround Back Right (rear)

At least I find 6.1 / 7.1 to be better right now, on all the formats I gave and more.

DD EX / THX EX makes excellent use of 6.1 and 7.1 even though there is no DD 6.1 and 7.1 descreet formats all on its own.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree with John in that you are mostly better off going to a 7.1 configuration (sides and backs.)

But if discrete surround-based music is big with you, you may want to consider that many users have some uneasiness with dipoles for surrounds.

In my own case, I ended up giving up on dipoles and going with direct mono-poles for my surrounds because surround music is essential in my setup. (I am only 5.1 in my setup.)

I guess I'm just trying to say that each of us has priorities and what's right for one may not be for others...

Robert Wize

Auditioning
I agree w/ you, Chuck. I am into the music side of my setup, but I'd have to say I'm 95:5.... 'theater' to music... two factors drive this.... one is two kids (1&6), & two is it's our livingroom, not a "theater". You combine the two and you have a six year old who dominates.... I watch more animation than I do anything.... however, I really enjoy the Pixar movs!

Sometimes I wonder if she'll ever appreciate how good she has it?! lol....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks