What's new

Denon 3802 (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
After listening to the Sony DA5ES, Yamaha 2200, Pioneer Elite (forget model), and Denon 3802 I have decided that I prefer the sound of the Denon. I currently have Definitive Tech. BP-30 mains and in my house they sound bright. I have found the Denon to sound the best without sensing a loss of detail. I have seen that other people have connected an external amp to their 3802, but when looking at the back of it in the store I didn't see any Pre-amp outputs for the main speakers. Did I miss something or is there a way to connect an amp through the speaker terminals? If so does this change the quality of the sound to the amp? I have seen that the 3802 is $699 at 6ave so I'm very interested, but would like to know if it is useful as a pre/pro in the future. Thanks.

Colin-H

Second Unit
There is a full set of preouts (plus a set of multi-zone preouts) on the 3802 directly above the speaker terminals and directly to the left of the box with the name, power specs, and serial number. Check the back panel photo on the PDF info sheet.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Your right! I don't know why I didn't notice that when I was at the store? The salesman even looked at it and said that I couldn't get a full set of pre-outs unless I went to the 4802. This was just after he finished telling me about how knowledgeable he was on the Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha etc...:) I don't see any reason not to get the 3802. I'm planning on buying the Sony 755V DVD/SACD player when it comes out this month. I may wait until after I buy that just so I can see if SACD really makes a difference with my current setup. Also I figure the price of the 3802 will stay the same or go down with the 3803 on the horizon. Thanks everyone for your help. Between room acoustics and equipment reviews, I have learned enough to bore my wife for days, weeks even months:D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
That's interesting. I just compared a 3802 and DA5ES at Tweeter. The salesperson, another customer, and myself all agreed that the DA5ES was the better sounding receiver. I thought the Sony amplifier came a little closer to giving the oomph I get with my Parasound.

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I definately would not trust the opinion of the salesperson as to which "sounds better". Any good salesperson can pickup on a lot just by talking with you for a few moments. They usually can figure out which one to you "sounds better". A whole store of salespeople and customers agreed with me that the Integra DTR-7.2 sounded better than the Onkyo 898 and Kenwood Sovereigns, but I also expressed a great deal of interest in it first.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I used to be a salesperson and I know most of my colleagues didn't know diddly squat about what they were selling. So now, I don't pay too much attention to what sales people tell me. I just preferred the sound of the Sony, it sounded like it had much beefier amplifier.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
The receivers that I auditioned were connected to Mirage speakers because they were the most similar to my Def. Tech. When I listened to the receivers I had the salesman set all of them to the same sound level and switch between them while I had my back to him. The funny thing was that there was another customer in the room and he owned the Sony 333ES. That customer said he was very happy with his Sony before the comparison. Neither I or the other customer knew which receiver we were hearing when we determined our favorite between #1, #2 and #3. The Sony was the only one that both of us found to be harsh. Don't get me wrong, the customer insisted that he thought his Sony sounded better at home, and maybe it did with his room acoustics, not to mention he said he had Boston Acoustic speakers. The point is that we both felt the Sony was bright and in your face. The Yamaha I felt was much better than the Sony but still a little bright. To me the Sony sounded like the loud congested music you hear when standing too close to a speaker at a live concert. I have found in the past that I can hear higher frequencies better than many people, and I'm sure this adds to my preference for the warmer sounding Denon.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Maybe I liked it better because I'm used to the bright and in your face sound of Klipsch(that's why I own them). Both the Denon and Sony are top notch units, the deal breaker should be what sounds good to your ear.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
There is a Tweeter that opened in Fairfax a few months ago. There is also a closer one opening next month in Falls Church. Across from the Border's Books on Rte. 7(where they moved the Best Buy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks