Denon 3802 vs Outlaw 950

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Can anybody offer their opinion on what I would be missing if I go with the Denon instead of the 950 as a Pre/Pro.I've had good results from Denon in the past(I have a 4 year old AVR 2700 hooked up to my Def-Techs)and I would like to upgrade to the newer formats.The problem I have is,being in Canada I would pay $1.62 for our dollar,plus shipping,plus duty.I would rather save the money to put towards a multi channel amp to drive the Denon down the road.Keep in mind I already have 4 BP2X's wired and ready to go for 6.1 so waiting for a few months would be tough.Thanx in advance for any help.

Wayner

2. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same position as you almost, but I think it may be worth it to wait it out a few more months to see where things go. I'd like to know what all this excitement over the 950 is before I commit myself to anything.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I guess the exact answer would be, some detail and resolution plus the bass management isnt as flexible as the 950 but the 3802 would be a dam nice pre anyway.

Having said that it is my opinion that pre-pros come and go because of constant new formats while a good external power amp can stay forever.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was also looking at the 3802 as a pre/pro.
    The one thing that constantly bothered me was:
    Why would I pay for amplification that I'm not going to use? [​IMG]
    Plus, I think that the CES modes (Cirrus Extra Surround: 6.1/7.1 from 2.0 thru 5.1) that the Outlaw has does not have an equivalent in the Denon.
    Denon makes great receivers. Maybe the proper answer is: why doesn't Denon do a pre/pro?

5. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

6. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your input guys.I think i'm going to take Gabriel's advice and hurry up and wait!!I'm going to put my name on the Outlaw waiting list and wait for the general consensus to roll in.I'f I lived in the U.S,this is a no brainer,I'd go straight to the Outlaw and buy a nice Rotel/Parasound.This hobby can be frustrating north of the border [​IMG] .Thanks again.
    Wayner

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Could always go with the 3802 now and later add a 755. I've currently got a 3802 and am very happy with it, but may add a 755 in the future when I move into a bigger house/HT room.