Denon 3802 vs Onkyo 898 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arthur S, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Both models are on their way out and good deals are available without asking. The Onkyo 898 is several hundred dollars more than the Denon 3802, but has a few more features, including THX.

Thanks

Artie

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

the 898 might have a slight edge on the 3802, though the power ratings are the same, at a declared 110x7.
    you get thx-ex decoding, and maybe higher hz on the component i/o.
    1 - whats the price differences between these fellas?
    2 - can you a/b them?

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

But.........doesn't the 898 have some "problems" like audio drop outs & ticking noises from the speakers? I was set to purchase the 898 but have held off due to these problems, but again I am a newcomer to the home theater field & am trying to learn as much as I can before making any type of purchases.

4. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I have the 898 and haven't had any problems with skipping. Includes ~100 movies tried including Jurassic Park 3, which I think has had problems. I've watched Pearl Harbor over Digital Cable in 5.1 with no dropouts either.

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I've played TXH-EX material on a 3802 with no problem. I recall reading (on this forum?) about why the 3802 can't/couldn't advertise that fact.

There have also been complaints about 3802s. Ideally you can a/b them. I've owned Denon and Onkyo receivers and loved them both.

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Could you please tell me what problems you are refering to regarding the 3802?

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Most of what I've read is imagined or a product of a less than stellar manual and remote. I've never had anything that resembles a problem with mine. Do a search on this forum for "3802" and "problem" and you will see various discussions (most with a happy ending due to kind manual translations from members of this forum).
    The most thorough discussion on this I saw (without reading all the posts in detail) is here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=3802+problems

8. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Don't forget the HK 520!

9. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

THX and other features are great and all, but I think your preference of sound is more important:

Onkyo = bright
    Denon = warm

Actually I in my testing of the Integra 7.1 (Onkyo 797) and the Denon 3802, I thought that the Integra was too bright and the Denon was a little too dull. If I had to go with one, I would go with the Denon.