Denon 3802 vs Onkyo 898

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone done a side by side comparison between these two.I've heard the 3802 and it sounds good, but I have no access to listening to the 898.I realize the Onkyo is a bit more money,but that is not a issue in this case.I'd like some opinions on these two products regarding sound and features.Thanx in advance for any help.

Wayner

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I have tried both the 3802 and the 898 and kept the 898. I thought the 898 sounded very clean and it offered some more features than the 3802 like the 12V trigger, Unsampling, etc. You can tweak the 898 a lot more than the 3802. The setup and OSD on the 898 are much better than the 3802. Also, the 898 gives you more digital inputs and outputs for the future.

The 898 IMHO is a very solid product and I don't have any complaints. I believe it can be had at a similar price of the 3802 from an authorized etailer like J&R at under $1100 delivered.

3. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

I went the other way. I tried the Onkyo 898 and the Denon 3802 and ended up keeping the 3802. They both sounded pretty similar for home theater, but for 2 channel music I liked the 3802 more. The OSD of the 898 definitely beats the 3802, though.

4. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

I've not had these for in home trials, but I have heard them side by side same speakers, and I would say that the 898 was better with music for me. The speakers were Boston Acoustic (don't remember the model, sorry). The Onkyo had more features and inputs, and the THX logo, for what that's worth. I'd personally lean 898, but it's a no lose situation really. $.02 USD

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Is this really a fair comparison though? It appears that the 3802 is some $300-$400 less than the Onkyo.

6. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Local dealer pricing on 3802 is around $900.

Internet pricing for 3802 is around $700 at the low end (be careful though, my 3802 bought at a local authorized dealer needs to go back due to annoying traits that are not standard design features). Funny how sometimes those who are least able to encumber the extra debt are willing to gamble most on getting the lowest price via the net (kinda like lottery ticket buyers - no offense here (they make great stocking stuffer gifts)).

Onkyo 898 is around $1050-1200 delivered by an authorized dealer.

Yes, there is a price difference, but factor in authorized dealer buying with local taxes on the Denon, and you're difference shrinks to only $75-$150.

I cannot stand the fact that I cannot see the volume level setting on the OSD nor the tiny numbers on the front of the 3802. It would be nice to be able to select a video source to view from the remote control while listening to an audio-only source >> I know the 3802 cannot, I think the 898 can -- this is a perk feature however.

The 3802 sound quality is very nice, and if you could get a solid unit via the net for under $800 that would be a tremendous value. I'm hesitating on bringing an 898 into the home (hifi.com offers a decent eval/price scenario), so...

I'm also considering moving up to the 4802 or Pio 47tx or just "plain ol' separates."

For me the 3802 does not satisfy my user interface requirements, but it is good enough to make me want to keep it for the sound quality at the price point it's at.

7. TysonL

TysonL Agent

You can actually change video sources on the Denon while listening to Audio. Get yourself a Cinema 7 remote and learn the Denon Advanced code 474 and you're in business! Then learn that code to your master remote and you're set.

Tyson

8. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I feel ya Doug. Not being able to see the volume setting in a dark room would also bug the hell outta me! I'm also thinking along seperates or the 4802 for 2002 and beyond. Just waiting to see what happens with the Outlaw 950.

9. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yes it would, from everything I have read on the subject