Denon 3802 vs Marantz 8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

Could anyone let me know what features of the Marantz SR8200 are NOT in the Denon 3802? I know that the Denon is not THX certified and does not have the spiffy remote that the Marantz has.

I have the Marantz right now and while the quality of the amps are incredible, the digital sound "drop outs" are starting to really bug me.

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3300, looking into both of these rcvr's other than the drop outs, what are your impressions of the marantz, and have you tried the 3802?

3. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

Other than the drop outs, I really enjoy the Marantz. But you should really consider the drop outs. I didn't think they would bother me, but it is very distracting, especially when you lose the first second or 2 after a DVD layer change! Well done DVD menus with music and sound are ruined. I also have a playstation 2 hooked up via optical and on certain games the sound dropped out about 10 times in a half hour.

If the drop outs don't bother you, I have to admit the sound is wonderful!

I had also tested the Denon and I believe the Marantz sounded slightly better. Marantz's remote is by far better than the Denon.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't noticed the audio dropout on layer switches, but I do have them on chapter skips and certain menu selections. I'd say it has more to do with the specific combination of source unit with receiver. I easily prefer the sound of Marantz for music over Denon (I picked my 6200 over even the 3802), though for HT it is a toss up, with a slight advantage going to Denon.

5. JonathanJ

JonathanJ Auditioning

I've had my SR8200 set up for about a week and so far I've got mixed emotions about the unit. I upgraded from a Harman Kardon AVR45 DD receiver, and the step up was very noticeable. There are drop outs, but then again my HK had them too, so that didn't bother me. The other thing that really bothered me was the fact that you can't change individual speaker channel levels without using the testtones. I remember reading this somewhere on this board, and i can't remember who said but they were absolutely correct. The receiver can be set up for either music or hometheater, but not both.

All in all, I'd have to say that I am very happy with the 8200. It was a huge step up from the AVR45. One more thing about the remote. Don't get too excited. The remote kind of sucks. I'll take one with buttons any day.