Denon 3802 vs. Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Sparks, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Can anyone help me on this? I can get good deals on both units. Quick side note....if I went with the Sovereign, I would pick up a MX-5000 THX Ultra 2-channel amplifier in order to achieve 6.1/7.1 surround, which I can also get a good deal on.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Denon 3802 and almost nothing about Kenwood's Sovereign line. I'm kind of hesitant when I hear "kenwood" but this is suppose to be their elite line.

My set up now is:
    Yamaha 795
    Monitor Audio Silver 5i
    Monitor Audio Silver 31
    Monitor Audio Silver center 10
    Monitor Audio ASW210
    Toshiba 3755

Thanks

Mark

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

I would Highly recommend the Denon avr-3802 It's an awesome unit. Also to save a little cash try to find an avr-1082 which isexactly the same thing.

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I dont think that you can go wrong with the 3802. I have this unit with the Parasound 1205. Other than it not being THX certified I don't think it lacks anything.
    Highly recomended[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Agreed,I think the 3802 is one of the best performers vs. price receivers out there.I can't comment on the Kenwood.Iv'e never heard their products.

5. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

As a Denon to Kenwood convert ( I have nothing bad to say about Denon) I would suggest you listen to both. I sold my Denon 4802 as did my a very close friend of mine and bought a 5900. The 5700 and 5900 are very impressive, great power and true sound. You can also adjust the sound on the Kenwoods based on your room. Too much carpet or overstuffed furniture...wood floors or bare walls. Just tell it the situation and it adjusts. It also adjusts to room size.

I used homemade dampers to make up for my rather barren theater but they were ugly. I was able to achieve the same sound by using the settings on the receiver, no more ugly fabric squares.

The remote isn't my favorite part of the package and I did pick up a pronto. The Kenwood remote is nice in that it uses RF so you can use it anywhere in your house or in my case out by the pool.

You have to listen to both and look at the features that are important to you. What works for me and trips my trigger may not be the same for you. If you like the features of one you can't go wrong. I strongly feel that the 5700 is closer to the Denon 4802 then the 3802 though. That is just my opinion though, I know the Denon fans probably won't agree but Kenwood did convert at least two this year.

If you are going to spend good $$$ on a receiver you owe it to yourself to listen to both in your home if possible and at the least at the dealer keeping things as close to your situation as possible.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I'll cast another vote for the 3802

7. Mark_Sparks

Mark_Sparks Agent

Thanks!

8. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

One kind of cool thing that the 5700 does is it can switch all inputs (composite, s-vid, component) into component. It's a kind of nice little feature. The Pioneer VSX-49TX, and Denon 5803 also do that.

9. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

I had a 5080 and found a DSP defect in it. Went to the dealer and tried out 2 more and they both had the same DSP defect. Basically, the problem was, when AC-3 playback, THX mode engaged, right surround speaker distance greater than 6', nasty distorition would come out of the right surround channel (it was volume independent). If THX mode was turned off or right surround distance decreased to 5', all was well. Doesn't do it alot but do you want any distortion? The pre menue intro (what comes right after the FBI warning) to Lost In Space or Rush Hour is terrible. It always does it in the same places though. The dealer thought it was my setup until I demonstrated the problem on there HT display. It also did it on the next model up (I don't know the model number). The dealer setup was using the receivers built in amps. I was using the unit as a pre/pro with external amps for all channels. Stay away from the Soverign line unless you thoughly test it out.

10. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Greg

If you still have that 5080 you need to contact Kenwood and get the firmware upgrade. This was a problem specific to the 5080 which was a completely different machine from the rest of the line. The upgrade also gives you several new DSP modes that later became available in the line.

11. Greg Conti

Greg Conti Stunt Coordinator

Doug H,

I contacted Kenwood several times and they knew nothing about it. They mentioned nothing about any firmware upgrades. I finally got fed up and returned it.

12. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

What is the price difference, and which one puts out more watts with all channels driven????? I have the 3802!! Fine machine, but I believe that Kenwood is a bigger unit. Not sure! Also don't get hung up on 6.1. If the Kenwood has big real amps, that is a good thing to have. The Kenwood line is usually a little short on the lattest gadgets, but that is not important to me anymore.