Denon 3802 vs HK AVR520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tray, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

Can someone provide or point me to a comparision between these 2 receivers? I have read the spec's but most of its greek to me! I need a translater!

I have been considering the 3802 becasue of recommendations here and the good price I have found it for ($699). I have been reading more and there seems to be a big contingent here for the 520.
    I am building my first HT and I think I will purchase the JBL S38 Front L/R - JBL S36 rear L/R and the JBL SCII center. I haven't decided on the sub yet. The room is 18x23 and the HT used for music/HT 65/35%. I will do 5.1 for now and may go 6.1 in the near future but I don't think I will go 7.1 anytime soon. My room layout makes it VERY difficult to do and the wife won't like speakers hanging everywhere.

Help!!!

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I'd go with the 520, especially since you get it for 570 shipped from onecall. The re-assignable amp section is great if you plan to add seperate amplification later, and you'll also get logic7 on stereo sources. The only thing you'll be losing out on is DolbyEX and 7 channels of amplification vs. 5

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I've had my 520 for almost a year now (10 or 11 months I think) and I love it. I've never had any problems with it. Even if you want 6 or 7 channels, I would go with the 520 and an external 2 channel amp before a reciever with 7 channels built in, but that's just my choice.

4. Tray

Tray Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone explain the differences between the two???

It appears that the Denon can do more. However, I do not see me going with 7.1 in the near future. My room really isn't designed to accomidate two more speakers. I can see myself using 6.1 though.

How much of a difference does DTS-ES make? Does the HK have somethng similar?

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

To go 6.1 or 7.1 with the 520 you would need another amp. A small monoblock for 6.1 would be fine.

Be aware that the 525 is coming by Oct. and is heavily rumored to have 7 channels of amps. H/K isn't saying but a sure way to tell is if anything slips out on future pricing.

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Most of the comparisons between these 2 focus on feature sets (Amplification Channels, Surround modes, etc).

Anyone care to comment on the sound quality ? Does one seem brighter than another ?

Thanks

7. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

8. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Anyone have any input on which of these two receivers would be preferred as a pre/pro? I'm considering mating one of these receivers with a 3ch amp, and using the internal amps for the surrounds. I believe both allow re-assigning amps and 7.1 with this setup. Which would you guys choose?

Does the 3802 do DD-EX?

9. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I only have heard the 320, and it was very warm, almost like marantz, but still I prefer marantz.

DENON and ONKYO always have the edge in tecnology, both include very good packages for the money. But the sound isnt as rich as H/K or Marantz, but this doesnt mean that this brands sound better or worst, it just sound different. Every brand has their own strenghts and weakness.

But I wouldnt doubt to chose H/K over denon. And the price of 577 is makes it very atractive.

Most people here say that when you try 6.1 or 7.1 you woudnlt like to return to 5.1. But for me 5.1 is enoungh, until they have 8.1 I will change, and more movies come with that standard. For me is more important the sound and quality of the receiver.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

10. Paul Clarke

I believe the only amp assigning afforded the 3802 is with the multi-zone. H/K has Main Ins so all 5 channels are assignable.

I also believe the 3802 does do DD-EX like a lot of others but can't claim it due to licensing crap.

11. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

The 3802 does not have re-assignable amps like the 520. The 520 actually has inputs for each channel of amplification on the back of the unit, basically allowing you to use it as a seperate 5 channel power amp. The only configuration possible with the denon amps is using the 6th and 7th channels to power a 2nd zone instead of the surround-back channels.

12. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Hmm...interesting...

Kind of disappointing on the 3802. I was hoping to be able to re-route the mains to power the surrounds, and still use the 2nd zone. So, just to clarify - the 3802 + 3ch amp will NOT allow me to run 7.1 AND a 2nd zone? Why does it have 9 speaker terminals?

Does the 520 have 2nd zone functionality?

13. Paul Clarke

Yes, the 520 has multi-zone but another amp is required.

14. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Also, what is the bass management situation for these two receivers?

15. Paul Clarke

3802 has 80,100,120Hz X-over, Small or Large, also LFE+Main.

H/K has 40,60Hz=Large...80,100Hz=Small, also Sub LFE+L,R.

Neither Multi-channel inputs have Bass Management.

16. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Regarding bass management on the AVR 520, you can set any of the speakers to large or small. If you set the front speakers to small, you can crossover at 80hz or 100hz. If you set your front speakers to large, you can crossover at 40hz or 60hz. If you set the fronts to large, you have 3 other options for setting bass management, either no sub, sub with LFE only or sub with bass from left and right front speakers as well.

17. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

What exactly is "LFE+Main"? Does that mean all bass is routed to the mains, while the sub gets the LFE channel only?

18. Paul Clarke

As Denon describes it, LFE+Main means that any speaker set to Large will get a full range signal and the sub will receive the usual LFE signal established by the X-over setting.

Very similar to H/K's LFE Sub+L,R except the only speakers affected are the Fronts.

19. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I'm not clear on the difference. Does one of the two affect the center channel also?

20. Paul Clarke

The Denon will send low bass both to the sub and to ANY speaker set to Large when the LFE+Main is selected.

The H/K sends it to the sub and the Fronts only when LFE Sub+L,R is selected.

As to your question, this is something you must experiment with. For all CD playback I prefer to use the multi-channel input on my H/K 510. This is the most analog direct mode on the H/K. My mains and surrounds are towers with very good bass response so I prefer to run them as Large. By using the 6 channel input (even with 2 channel CD), the sub output is quite moderate and it can stay in the mix and be blended better by using the internal 510 sub level control.

When using a digital input however the bass output can be quite strong and the speakers are best left as Small. Fortunately the H/K allows custom settings depending on input, surround mode, etc.