Denon 3802 User Interface Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DougO, Dec 1, 2001.

1. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Does the OSD show the volume level?

Can you select a video source to view, via the remote, while listening to an audio source?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Doug: No, the OSD does not show the volume. It only shows on the front panel of the unit.

The 3802 "can" select video separately from the audio from a remote control. But the code is not available on the included, standard remote. The best/cheapest/easiest way to get the Video Select remote command is to learn it from a One-For-All Cinema 7 remote (or a Radio Shack version of the One-For-All's.) (These OFA remotes run from $20 to $40 and are easily worth their purchase price due to their abilities to create commands like the Video Select.)

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Luke: Since your Denon remote can learn functions from other remotes, all you need is a remote that has the function (or functions) that you want to add for your system. The best source I've found for these "other" codes are from One-For-All remotes.
    One-For-All manufactures many different types and sizes of remotes. We've all seen them at the local Wally World and such. But some users have found a few of the OFA models offer an almost unbelieveable level of sophistication for just a few dollars of investment. The best of these models are:
    The One-For-All Cinema 7 (the package is marked with "Now with Learning") for around $25 at Sears (less over the web.)
    A few Radio Shack models (the best of which was the 15-1994, now discontinued.) Unfortunately,the newer Radio Shack models seem to be more limited in their functions than the 1994 was, but they still work for many things. The newer models are the 15-2103, and the 15-2104. These sell for between $30 and $40 (often on sale.)
    All pre-programmed universal remotes come with a basic set of commands for each device. The cool thing about these OFA remotes is that they can literally create specific commands that AREN'T part of the basic set. The example I gave above is the Video Select command for Denon receivers. The command is not part of the basic set that is on your Denon remote. And, it's not on the OFA when you 1st put the Denon code into it. BUT, you can create it!
    Due to the fact that these remotes can do so much, and that others can explain it so much better than me, go to these 2 websites and do a bit of reading. I think you'll be amazed!
    First, go to http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml This is the best resource I know of for the OFA remotes. Initially, read through this site as best you can and don't dwell on the details. Then, if you decide you want to try one of the remotes (and some of the ideas), go back and find the specific sections. (As an example, I don't use the JP-1 section. It's just too much for me. But I have found the other parts excellent.)
    The other resource is http://www.remotecentral.com There is a One-For-All forum there that allows you to interact with others OFA boosters. But I would recommend going there after the 1st site.
    (Here are the codes I added to my Denon system...
    Video Select Device Code 0160 Button Code 474
    Power Toggle On/Off Device 0160 Button Code 022
    Status/Panel Device 0160 Button Code 473
    You can even add the Panel Dimmer to your remote if you want to...)
    Good Luck!!!