Denon 3802 - upper frequencies? - should I go to seperates?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have been tring to find a replacement for my Yamaha 596 receiver for quite a while now. I started with a Marantz SR8200. It sounded very, very good, but returned it due to the delay when playing a digital signal.

I now have a Denon 3802 and I am mostly happy, but the upper middle range to higher range doesn't have the clarity and realistic sound that the Marantz had. These ranges sound better at a higher volume, but at normal listening volume speaking and singing voices ,higher pitched brass and woodwind instruments, and acoustic/electric guitars sound dull.

Would going to seperates give me a clearer, more realistic sound at a normal listening volume (-25 on the Denon volume scale). I was thinking about the Marantz mm9000 5 channel amp and the soon to be released Outlaw 950.

Thanks for any insights!

2. Tom_Mack

I have Paradigm Monitor line speakers, so I was suprised that the rolled off sound didn't balance everything out. On the Yamaha receiver the sound was bright, but with the Denon it is the exact opposite. A little too dull instead of bright. The Marantz seemed to be in between. I had always thought that Marantz amps were warmer than Denon. The marantz definately had more detail. Of course, it cost $500 more.

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

4. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

I've been actually wondering the same thing (altho my case is a little different). For years now I have been, unfortunetly, using one of those cheap 10band EQ's inbetween my CD Player & Receiver. I finally took it out thanks to the great advice from the people on this board. I am thrilled with the sound, so much cleaner and open, but my ears have become so used to lots of high freq over these past years that the direct connection now seems just a tad bit muddy in the upper freq area.(yes I am using the tone control on the receiver).
    I dont ever listen to the receiver at reference volume due to me living with someone else, so Im at moderate listening levels all the time. Would getting an ext amp help at all in the area I have described. Thanks for listening by the way [​IMG]
    My setup:
    Denon 3801
    Klipsch RF3

5. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I found my Denon 3300 to be a little dull in the upper range too without upping the tone controls. Just a thought. However, I am picking up a Outlaw 950, too.[​IMG]

6. Tom_Mack

I did some more tests tonight to see how different cd/dvds sound at different levels. And although I haven't made a final decision, I think I am staying with the 3802. I tested with a Billy Joel CD (52nd street), Maynard Ferguson's greatest hits, Fantasia 2000 DVD, and just some other DVDs to test for voice realism.
    At low volumes(-40), I have to say my old Yamaha probably sounded better just because the Yamaha brightness actually helped when playing at softer volumes. Of course, I very rarely listen at soft volumes and care much less of how it sounds at this volume.
    At mid level volumes (-30 to -25), the Denon sounds much better than the Yamaha did, but voices and trumpets sounded a little muffled. I usually watch TV and play video games at this volume.
    At high volumes (for me) (-20 to -10), everything sounded great! Voices and brass sounded realistic, clear, but not bright.
    The Marantz 8200 sounded better at mid level volumes and had a little more overall definition and clarity, but not enough for the price difference and definately not enough to deal with the faults the receiver had. I'm sure seperates would sound better, but I don't think it would sound that much better to spend an extra $1000. (IF it is that much better, I don't want to know! [​IMG] )
    If down the road, I want to improve the sound, i'll add an amp and then later add a pre-amp. I watch most movies at -20 on the dial and most critical listening at around the same. The Denon sounds great at that level and thats good enough for me! I think.....