Denon 3802 speaker set up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Mar 24, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up my 3802 and I'm a little confused about some of the speaker imputs.

I'm set up for 6.1/7.1 and I want to run a set of speakers in another room. Do I hook up the speakers in the other room to "Surround A" or "Surround B" or am I totally off base?

I've got the back surrounds hooked up to "Back Surround/Multi Zone". From the manual it looks like I'm supposed to use this imput for the speakers in the other room.

What am I supposed to do?

Thanks,

Aaron

2. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

You have only 7 amplifier channels; if you have 7 channels in your main room (i.e. you have back surrounds), there are no amp channels leftover for the second zone.

Take the "multi-zone" pre-outs and hook them up to another amplifier (or receiver or whatever) to drive the second room.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yea, I think you have to flip flop from 7.1 to 5.1 when you use the other room speakers. Not sure. Good advice above, or just get a cheap rcvr for the second room and set it up separately.

4. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses!

I'm not planning on running both areas at the same time, so is it possible to use one of the surround channels to run the other set of speakers?

Thanks,

Aaron

5. Earl Simpson

If you aren't going to run them at the same time, you are all set. You can still run 7.1 in the main room and when you want sound in a remote you will loose your surrounds in the family room. No sweat!!!![​IMG]

6. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

So if I'm running the other speakers off of surround B, how do I route the sound to just the surround B speakers?

Thanks

7. Earl Simpson

Yes, there is a thread on that proceedure. Certain inputs and only certain inputs drive the remotes. I'm at school and don't have my manual with me. But this has been done with people to live and tell about it. You can play two sources at the same time.

8. Earl Simpson

It's like what father Deluchi said in the movie Casper," I've read about it, I have talked to people who did it, but I really haven't done it"

9. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Earl,

Do you have a link to the thread? I did a search and couldn't find anything that really helped.

Aaron

10. Earl Simpson

another post
    In setup you have to tell it if they are multi zone or surround speakers B. When running multi-zone, the zone has it's own settings for source and volume. I have a set of speakers for another room hooked up to the speaker’s jacks and wireless headphones hooked up to the pre-amp out puts. So I can have a movie from my DVD playing in the theater and music from a CD playing in the other room at a different volume. Remember you can only send analog signals to the multi-zone. So if you’re using Digital coax or fiber you also need to run regular analog cables for left and right.
    You can. I assume you have the back speakers assigned to multi in the setup menu. Next you press the multi zone button on the front of the unit, select the source and go to it. You can then do whatever you want in your living room by just changing sources there. When the multi zone icon is lit it sends whatever source you chose for it to those speakers (or line out).
    Brian
    --------------------
    Bring out the gimp.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 586 | From: Lawrenceville, GA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001 | IP: Logged
    sotwell
    New SPottie
    Member # 6738
    posted August 17, 2001 01:49 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brian,
    Thanks, but it is still not working. I have the outside speakers connected to the back of the receiver in the SURR BACK/MULTI ZONE jacks.
    In the "Speaker Set Up" I have Sp B. off and Sp. Back set to small.
    Now, I can hear audio out of the speakers on the deck if I listen to the receiver in regular mode (it is now playing in 7ch Stereo instead of 5ch). But if I turn the source to something dead, and turn the multi to cd - no sound. I also go to "Power Amp Assignment" and select "Multi". I still get nothing.
    What in the hell am I doning wrong?
    bbenson5
    New SPottie
    Member # 6090
    posted August 19, 2001 12:25 AM
    Have you tried turning the volume up. I think that was my problem when I initially set it up the way you have it. Now if anyone knows how to turn off the sound from the multi-zone speakers when not in use please let me know. Right now I just turn the volume all the way down.
    posted February 28, 2002 08:51 AM
    Couple of things to remember for multi-room setup. The 3802 supports multi-room by either dedicating the back channels (direct driving speakers in another room) and/or by a line level output. For reasons that escape me, it does NOT provide a composite and/or S-Video output to room 2 (unlike my old Yamaha which did this just fine). Additionally, these outputs are analog-only: if you're using a digital connection to the 3802 you will get nothing on the room 2 line level outputs. This is an issue if you're connecting a DVD or CD player via a digital cable to the 3802. I get around this by connecting both digital and analog outputs. Lastly, anything that is input to the 5.1 discrete inputs is not output to the room 2 line level outputs at all.
    Brad Anders
    Welcome to the spot San Diego. I, too, have just recently ordered up a 3802 and am looking forward to hooking it up once our addition construction is done. I wouldn't think that you would need a wall volume control for the main theater room, you've already got two methods for adjusting volume in that room (unit itself and the remote) - why bother with three? As for the source material for the other rooms from what I understand, it does in fact have to be an analog source, it will NOT route digital sourced material. One way around this if we're talking about a CD or minidisc player is hook up both digital AND analog connection from the player to the receiver. That way in the main room you can enjoy the digital transfer and any effects you want to use but you also get output from your source to the other rooms as well. So, for example, you'd run a TOS link cable from your CD player as well at RCA patch cords from your CD player both into the receiver.
    Good luck!
    In setup you have to tell it if they are multi zone or surround speakers B. When running multi-zone, the zone has it's own settings for source and volume. I have a set of speakers for another room hooked up to the speaker’s jacks and wireless headphones hooked up to the pre-amp out puts. So I can have a movie from my DVD playing in the theater and music from a CD playing in the other room at a different volume. Remember you can only send analog signals to the multi-zone. So if you’re using Digital coax or fiber you also need to run regular analog cables for left and right.
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...ubb=forum;f=61

11. Earl Simpson

PS/ all the forum stuff was dumped last month! So when we tell you to do a search, "it's catch 22". Sorry!!!!![​IMG]