What's new

Denon 3802 question (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to decide between picking up a 3802 now or waiting for the 1803 and saving a few bucks. I was wondering if the 3802 can do Dolby Digital EX. It mentions something about Dolby Digital 6.1 Matrix in the features on the Denon website. Is that essentially DD EX? I am trying to make sure my next receiver supports every format possible (I currently have a 3600 with no DTS). Also, is there any advantage in 7.1 over 6.1? Do both surround speakers in a 7.1 setup play the same thing during playback of 6.1 material?

itai

Stunt Coordinator
ben
the 3802 decodes dd, dd-ex, dts, dts-es, dpl2 and direct (no processing, straight from source feed, great for cd music) and has 7 amps for a working, out the box 7.1 setup.
the two rear speakers get a mono signal, and imo you can get along with a single one. i run two, just to make it nicly symetric!...
:emoji_thumbsup:

Donnie Seals

Agent
Actually, the 3802 can't do Dolby Digital EX, only DTS-ES. You can however support a 6.1 and 7.1 track, but it's not officially DD EX. This is according to the manual.

Mark_Sparks

Agent
That was just a copy right issue with Dolby Labs. According to a Denon rep I spoke to, that issue was cleared up in January 2002, and the new 3803 will have the DD EX display. So Denon's 6.1 is exactly the same as DD EX, just a vanity display issue.

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently, the difference between the two is that the unmarked 02 series version uses normal Pro-Logic centre channel decoding. With the later models marked as 'Dolby EX', the rear centre channel is decoded with Pro-Logic II, which apparently has better centre steering.

This is the theory.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
well, when you play LTOR, which is dd-ex, the denon's front display changes to 6.1, and it feeds the back surrounds.
thats dd-ex decoding, isnt it?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Basically, yes. But "Dolby Digital EX" is a copyrighted term. Denon did not use it, instead opting to call it "6.1 Matrix Surround". It is identical to DD EX.

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
So Itai, just to clarify something here, you're saying that the 3802 can read, and respond to, the 'Dolby EX' flag in a 5.1 Dolby mix?

itai

Stunt Coordinator
can and does! LTOR plays 6.1, 3802 responds to flag as usual and all! you hit play and the display turns to:"6.1"!
as JeremySt and others said, its a copyright issue of denon having to pay dolby some millions (?...) so they can use this decoding legaly.
probably have'nt "made it time" and they shipped the 3802 without dolby's aproval or something like that, (just my imagination here...), and decided to let us users enjoy it anyway!!!
the 3803 will probably sort this out.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
as JeremySt and others said, its a copyright issue of denon having to pay dolby some millions (?...) so they can use this decoding legaly.
probably have'nt "made it time" and they shipped the 3802 without dolby's aproval or something like that, (just my imagination here...), and decided to let us users enjoy it anyway!!!
This bit I know. THX had a contract with Dolby that let them have copyright for Dolby EX in the home - THX EX. This was in return for coming up with (or at least co-developing - I'm not sure) the idea of the EX system in the first place. Anything with EX had to be THX licensed. The 3802 came out during this period. After two years the contract expired, so products could have the Dolby EX logo on the front. I understand that the first product to do this was the Outlaw 950 preamp.

You do get the Pro-Logic II centre steering to go with it. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has one of these later units, about whether the better steering makes a noticible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks