Denon 3802 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Y, Mar 10, 2002.

1. John_Y

John_Y Auditioning

I am wondering if someone can help me. In December, I purchases a Denon 3802 and Definitive Cinema 100 speakers. I really like the system and it has a great sound.

I do have a question. When watching a DVD,I have been putting it in either the Neo 6 C or the Dolby PLII mode. There doesn't appear to be a low of sound coming from the rear speakers. If I put it in the 7 channel stero mode, I get a lot of sound from the rear speakers. I am wondering if I have it set up right.

I have it set to 7 speakers. I have a cheap DVD player which I have had for a year or so, it is an Oritron. I have it set to digital coax output. There are also settings for either PCM or bitstream. I originally had it set to bitstream and it was like the DVD was skipping so I changed it to PCM.

My question is what are the optimum settings for listening to DVD's, movies, with the DVD player and the Denon 3802?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I'm not familiar with the Denon or DPLII and Neo6 BUT I can tell you that you should not be playing DVDs with either of these as they are still just pro-logic. Set your receiver so that it know's that the DVD signal is coming through the coaxial digital input and then let the receiver play the Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS signal. You may have to go to the audio menu on the DVD to get this but I can tell you that you will be amazed at the difference.

Once you have figured this out, get yourself a radio shack SPL meter and Avia or Video Essentials to calibrate your asysytem. You will be very glad you did. Good luck and if you can't figure out how to assign digital inputs, then check your manual. It should tell you how to do it.

3. John_Y

John_Y Auditioning

Richard,

Thanks for your reply. I already had the digital input set. After reading your post, I got the Receiver set up for 5.1 channel DTS. It sounds better now. As to the settings on the DVD for PCM or Bitstream, the only one for 5.1 DTS is bitstream.

I went to Radio Shack. The had two SPL meters, one digital and one analog. They did not know what Avia or video Essentials is. Can you explain to me what Avia or video Essentials is?

Thanks!!

4. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

A couple of notes:

* For DVD on the 3802, set the input mode to "auto." This way, it will select DD, DTS, whatever... automatically.

* Avia is a DVD that can be purchased online at Amazon, etc.

* Online comments indicate that the analog RatShack meter is easier to use. This is what I have.

jdg

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I also have mine set so the back speakers are on=press the 6.1/7.1 button and select the non matrix and the back speakers light will come on for all dvd 5.1/6.1 signals.
    Otherwise, the back speakers may not get a signal. And run up your backs and surrounds a notch or two.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    PS/ I never use Neo for DVD's or 7 channel stereo. Most DVD's are 5.1 or 6.1. That is for stereo DVD's of which I may have two out of 100???? But you would for those. And I think those two have a 3 channel option.

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

One supplemental note to the excellent comments above. If you are somewhat new to surround sound, you may not think you hear as much rear channel information as you had expected. This can be true even when listening in the proper surround mode, e.g. DD or DTS. However, a surround encoded track only sends low volume ambient sounds, and certain specific sound effects, to the rear channels. The important thing is to calibrate your system. Then whatever you hear from the rear channels is how it is intended to be.

7. John_Y

John_Y Auditioning

Thanks for all of your help.

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I'm not sure but I think you put it on matrix(6.1/7.1 switch) for DDEX/THXEX!

9. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator