Denon 3802 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I just noticed that switching from DD6.1 to DPL2 by pressing the menu-key (thus entering the non-DD menu) on my dvd remote is accompanied by a short "pop" sound in one of my speakers.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Willem Vos

3. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

My Denon 3802 make a click sound but my speaker do not.

Are you speaker close to the receiver? May be you are hearing the receiver.

4. Willem Vos

Shanti, the click sound is the receiver going from 7.1 to 5.1 amplification. That doesn't worry me.

What I mean is a pop coming out of the speakers (usually one of them, not the same each time)

It happens when the receiver switches from a Dolby Digital source to DPL2. Haven't tried DTS yet.

I'm using an optical Toslink, so I'm going to try this using a COAX connection and different DVD's to check if this thing persists...

5. Willem Vos

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Could this not be from the layer changes on the DVD?

I also have a 3802 and don't hear any kind of pop, just the relay click on the receiver. DVD is panasonic rp56

7. Willem Vos

No, no layer changing, it happens when I'm watching a movie in DD, and go back to the dvd-menu (which is not in DD, so the receiver reverts to DPL2)

8. Willem Vos

OK, I've got the same thing with a COAX connection, and have so far tried Willow and Exit Wounds and they both have a slight pop when going from the movie to the menu.

Perhaps a side effect from switching decoders (?)

My dvd player is a Pioneer DV-525

9. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I have experienced the disturbing "pops" also, though I am not explicitly certain what I did to initiate the "pop". I'd rather avoid trying to recreate the noise, but switching to the DVD menu while it was playing a DD (or DTS) movie is most likely scenario if I recall. I used two different DVD players attached to the same coax cable (both made the noise) -- I thought the player or the cable was the culprit, but now I think otherwise.

And I was really starting to like the sound from this receiver too.

In the manual it states that some "noise" may be heard if you're changing non-DTS sources to use DTS (or somesuch nonsense), but I don't think the "popping" sound is what Denon is describing.

Anyone else's receiver design do this???!!!!

10. Willem Vos

Well, so far I have been able to recreate it numerous times... sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes louder, sometimes softer. The last few times it eminated from the center speaker.

I was really wondering whether it was just my model, but it seems more have this thing.

Is this just common to the 3802?

11. Willem Vos

Are there any other 3802 owners to confirm this to be normal?

Or is this a reason to get the unit replaced/repaired?

12. Willem Vos

Just to be sure, I double-checked all connections, and it definitely isn't related to that.

Setting DPL Cinema or Music doesn't matter (I thought maybe switching the cinema-eq circuit from on to off was causing it)

Setting Tone-defeat on/off doesn't change things either.

I'll try some DTS/DPL2 menu switching tomorrow, see what that does.

I sure wish somebody would say not to worry about this, because I wouldn't want to lose any sleep over such petty things.

Except for this &#%$!@ popping, this receiver is just excellent...

13. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

Willem, I had a Denon 3200 until last week. Denon couldn't fix a different problem so they sent me a new 3801. I should have it today.

Anyhow, I used a Millennium 2.4.6 DTS processor with my 3200 and when the receiver would switch to the external processor, not only did I hear the relay switch click (this is audible whenever the receiver switches modes) but more often than not, I'd hear a pop from my speakers. Maybe it was just one speaker, I don't remember.

Point is: I don't think it's anything to worry about. While it may not be a defect in the receiver, it could just be a result of the particular combination of receiver/speakers/wire, etc. That's probably why you haven't had a bunch of 3802 owners chime in about having the same thing happen.

If it'll make you feel better, call Denon Tech Support in NJ and ask a tech.

The number is 973-396-7499.

Good luck.