Denon 3802 problem ... NO DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Broccone, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Doug Broccone

I don't know what's wrong. I've read the manual, set the correct parameters, connected the right input to the correct output....
    But my Denon 3802 is NOT reading any DTS , or DTS ES signals.
    Flagged or not, ADFM or not, nothing works.
    I'm gonna switch it out for another one. I got it for so cheap I can't give up on it.
    Plus I love Denon, just really pissed I can't figure why it's not working...
    Help anyone....
    DOug
    [email protected]

2. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

You need to set the DVD to output the DTS format. The 3802 is probably not auto sensing the DTS format and going to DD 5.1

3. Sonny Sangemino

Hi Doug,

I just bought an 1802 with exactly the same problem. Did you fix it? If so how? I have tried just about everything...any luck let me know.

Sonny

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Doug and Sonny.

With no disk in the tray on the DVD player, there should be a button on your remote that says "setup" or "configure" or something like that (I have a sony, not a Panasonic...so I'm guessing). When you press that, it should bring you to the DVD player's internal menu. On there somewhere should be audio options that will allow you to change the setting on the DVD menu that says DTS-OUT. Only when you change this default setting will your DVD player output a DTS signal to your receiver for decoding.

The problem is internal to your respective DVD players...not the receiver. The receiver should read the signal automatically.

I had the same problem when I upgraded from a non DTS receiver to my present processor...until I realized what the deal was.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yeah, those are all problems. You need to set your front panel to auto or digital and select the correct input with digital and use a digital cable and set up your dvd player and your dvd to dts.

6. Sonny Sangemino

Finally found the Menu that allows DTS bitstream, sure enough it was set to off...all is well now. I thought that By selecting DTS on the DVD it would be sufficient. Thanks for yer help.

Sonny

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Remember this!!! You will need to do it again one day. Mine resets to factory settings on rare occations without notice.

8. Doug Broccone

UPDATE:
    [​IMG] I'm a DUNCE... I read your responses and then CHECKED THE DVD MANUAL and YES, YES it was the digital output setting. Bitstream was what I needed not PCM.
    ANYWAY, it kicks balls now...
    I think most of the complaints about DENON are only stupid user error, like mine.
    BUt have to say... DENON has the FRIGGN WORST remote on the planet, and it's uneccessarily over complicated.
    But that's the price you pay for quality sound.
    THanks guys...
    DOug

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    MANY people have added to the BASICS post that ALL people new to the forum should read BEFORE asking questions like this. This question, in particular, gets asked about once a week. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but there is a lot of good information there, and a lot of people put their time into providing it.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55635

10. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Doug-

The 3802 remote is one of the easier ones in the Denon family. You should have seen the generation of the 5700 series. I personally don't care for the Aktis remote either. That is why the Home Theater Gods created the Pronto and their ilk.