Denon 3802, poor picture quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy_N, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I just hooked up my Denon 3802 and I think it is distorting the picture quality. I believe I hooked it up correctly, I have to double check to make sure all the component input/outputs are in the correct location.

The color seems off. My Sony DVD player has a blue menu which appears to be a darker blue/green when connected through the 3802. The picture also seems to bright.

I don't think I hooked anything up incorrectly, but the picture is definitely not the same as it was before I added the 3802.

Any ideas?

Tom

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

I did not notice that through my Onkyo, but I did reconfigure and run straight to the TV for my DVD player from advice from people on this forum. Really only audio needs to connect through your 3802.

3. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

I am also a 3802 owner. I run my video from my dvd player straight to my tv via component video cables and the picture is perfect. I suggest you try running your video straight to your tv from your dvd player.

Jason

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I too have heard about and seen this issue with the 3802. Like others have suggested you should route directly to the TV. Kind of a shame that you lose the video switching capabilities.

5. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Urgh. Now to pull everything out from the wall and mess around with it again. Funny I don't remeber reading about this before purchasing the 3802. [​IMG]
    I think it does it with all video signals because my DSS doesn't look the same but the difference is more subtle.
    I'll keep you all updated.
    Tom

6. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Like others have suggested always try to run the video directly into the TV if you can.

I briefly tested out the component inputs on my 3802 to see if there was any picture loss. During the test I didn't notice really any loss in picture at all. It just looked a little softer. It didn't have that crisp picture quality that I get hooking the cable directly into the TV.

The problem might be the cable. Try hooking it back to the way it was with the DVD player to the TV and see if it improves. The reason I think it could be the cable was my friend was doing the same thing that you were doing and he pulled too hard on the cable and loosened it. He's colors were way off. So I might be the cable.

But if everything works normal when you have it running directly into the TV then unfortunately its a problem with the receiver.

7. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

i have run component cables from my 3802 to my tv and direct from my dvd player to the tv. i didn't notice any difference in the quality of the picture.
    i set up my audio and video system using a calibration dvd. you didn't mention if you did. i calibrate my system anytime i make a change to it.

8. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

i use the component, s-video, and composite video switching from my 3802, and haven't had any issues with the picture quality at all. I did double-blind tests with my friends to compare the quality of the 3802 vs. a direct connection to my projector, and we couldn't find any discernable differences. The 3802 component switching is rated to only 27 Mhz bandwith though, so using it for HDTV will definitely result in a softness in the picture.

I do believe whenever possible you should run a direct connection to your monitor, but also believe that when you buy a receiver that has video switching, it should do it correctly. When I bought my 3802, I tested every in/out jack on it including the phono jack. Regardless of your setup, everything should work, because that's what you paid for. My $.02

9. Hanwook_K

Hanwook_K Stunt Coordinator

Video Bandwidth on Components
    This is the breakdown:
    NTSC Broadcast and VHS: 4.2 MHz
    Laser Disk: 5.3 MHz
    Regular NTSC DVD: 7 (6.8) MHz
    Progressive Scan NTSC DVD and 480p DTV: 13.5 MHz
    1080i HDTV: 37 MHz; in practice with 22 MHz the picture is still very superb.
    720p HDTV; 37 MHz
    What video connection are you using?
    Are you using components, S-video, or composite?
    What is your TV?
    What kind of TV do you have? What kind of connections?