Denon 3802 Playback question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ooten, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

I have a Denon 3802, when playing the matrix, my unit lights up the DD input inidicator and correclty displays Dolby D on the front of the digital display. When Playing a DTS track, the DTS led is correctly found and the digital display shows DTS as the output mode. With some of my DVDs, they are marked on the DVD case as being Dolby Digital 5.1, and when I play them my 3802 indicates the Dolby Digital Led, but the playback is shown on the digital display to be PL II C. Usual Suspects is one movie in which this happens. Am I missing something here? Any input is appreciated!

Brian

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Brian, I have found that many DVD's have extra features that are not listed on the cover. Some are 6.1, but never indicate this. My mem banks are low!! What is PL II C??? It's been awhile since I messed with mine.

3. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

Lol, I have no clue what PL II C is. I've searched the manual from front to back and can find no indication. I'm assuming its Pro Logic II, and maybe the C is for center channel, or something. I don't know.

**Edit = I think it means Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema

4. Earl Simpson

You are probably right! Which means all is right in the world. However, "C". Huuuummmmmm!!!! Seems like I remember seeing that and chalked it off as something to do with a version of dolby 2. Boy am I pulling this one out of my *****.

5. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

As I'm sure you know often the extra material isn't in 5.1 or anything other than stereo and in those cases PLII will be used for playback if you've set it that way. Now, for the movies themselves, you noted Usual Suspects, and unless you've got the new special edition (which is DD5.1) the OLDER version is DD, but only 2.0 so I believe the 3802 will interpret this as stereo and PLII will kick in. I'd check the movies to make sure that they are in fact DD5.1. I've seen a few (like Usual Suspects) which are DD but not 5.1 channel.

Of course I could be talking out of the wrong hole....

Brian.

6. Earl Simpson

OK, So what is the "C"?????? A playback mode????

7. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

8. Brian Ooten

Brian Ooten Extra

Thanks guys! Looking closer, my usual suspects is dolby digital, NOT DD5.1. Problem solved. Thanks!!

Brian

9. Earl Simpson

OK/ I guess we have drug this thread out for all its worth. Boy its amazing what you forget in a month of not playing a DVD.

10. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Going through DVD withdrawl? [​IMG]

11. Earl Simpson

Yeah! I've been going through my 400 cd collection and listening to it in 7 channel stereo. It's time to join Columbia again and get 7 more DVDs.[​IMG]