Denon 3802 Owners - Which audio mode works best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill RE, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

Just before Christmas I finally got my system set-up with the Denon 3802 and 7.1 Paradigm Studio speakers. It sounds great but I want to make sure that I am using the correct mode settings for music and movies. I think the Denon owners manual is difficult to understand and I would appreciate some advice from anyone that has owner the 3802 for awhile. For music, I seem to like the Stereo mode and Matrix mode. I don't care for the 7CH Stereo or the Rock or Jazz settings. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The bigger question is what should I use for movies. I have been using the Wide Screen mode. When I try and select Dolby Digital the display always says Dolby PL II. Is that what I should be using? I am getting 6.1 sound or 5.1 sound? Also, I have not been able to get anything to play in DTS. When I play a DTS coded disk and select DTS on the receiver, I have not been able to get any sound. I would appreciate any thoughts from Denon owners. Thanks.

2. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Bill, I also tend to not like 7Ch stereo. But I LOVE WIDESCREEN. As far as you not getting any audio in dts My next question would be how is you dvd played connected to your 3802? The fact that you only get dplII tells me that you may not be getting a digital signal to the receiver. First make sure you are using the either optical or digital coaxial out from your dvd player and also go to the menu of the dvd player itself and make sure you have bitstream enabled. Lastly be aware thatif a dvd has dts most likely you will have to go into the set up menu under audio or sometimes even language and select the dts track. Good luck

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Also go to denon set up an make sure you have selected which digital connection to use with which component.When you get a digital signal it will say digital on front of 3802.Read the book carefully,good luck!

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Bill: As the others have pointed out, apparently you're only decoding programs as 2 channel matrixed surround. So, you don't have 5.1 or 6.1. If you have a digital connection hooked up between the DVD player and the receiver, there is still something not working right.

On the receiver side of the coin, you'll need to set the digital input to the correct source input (in this case, DVD.) Then, you'll need to set the Denon's input mode to Auto (this means it will give priority to the digital connection over the analog connection.) This is a one time setup.

Then, go to the DVD player's menu and make sure that both Dolby Digital and DTS are enabled from the digital output. This is a one time setup.

Finally, make sure that when you are playing a DVD you choose DD or DTS from the DVD disc menu. Many DVDs default to 2 channel unless you change them to 5.1 or 6.1. You will need to check this every time you watch a disc.

Hope this helps!

5. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

Thanks for the advice. I am using an optical cable but I have not been using the DVD menu to select DTS before watching the disk. I will try this. I also realize that I may have to read the manual in greater detail. It is just such painful reading. If anyone in Central Ohio wants to come over and tutor me I will provide pizza and beer. [​IMG]

6. Phil Dally

Phil Dally Stunt Coordinator

silly question concerning the Denon 3802:

What's the difference between the 3802 and the 1082? If they are the same, why 2 model numbers? Different years?

7. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

For music listening, I presently use the stereo mode. Once I upgrade my rears to have an all-Energy speaker system, I will give 5-channel stereo a try. For movies, I have never tried widescreen as others have. I just use DD or DTS and have been totally satisfied. For sports on TV, I use the Matrix DSP. All other DSP modes are useless to me.

8. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

bill,

the guys were right about their post .

but i think it is more what chuck mentioned - that will help your set up.

you also have to go to your dvd's set up menu and configure it so it will put out dd and dts signals .

9. Marco Salvatori

Marco Salvatori Auditioning

I own a Denon 3803 and I've been generally satisfied with it. It produces very nice sound from all the channels and you can't beat the many DTS and DD modes it provides. My only complaints:

1.- No front A/V inputs (on a $1200 unit?!)
    2.- OSD doesn't work in progressive mode (pain to switch TV back and forth)
    3.- In interlaced mode, component switching shows strange red and blue scrolling bars on screen (very faint but noticeable)
    4.- Remote could've been designed much, much better (only 2 macro buttons?!)

Overall, I'm pleased with the unit's performance but you have to wonder why Denon would skimp on some of the features like the remote. I saw a similarly priced Sony model and the intuitive, full featured remote blew me away, and considering that 90% of the time you'll be using the remote, well, it's a no brainer.

If you own a 3803, try the Widescreen DSP mode, switching back and forth with DD while you watch Star Wars II, they are very different but I wonder if it makes any real difference having a surround back speaker(s) for Widescreen.

My setup: JVC XV-FA900 DVD
    Infinity Entra Point 5 HTS
    Samsung TSL3293HF HDTV

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

The 7 channel stereo works best for me for music ( I guess it depends on your speaker size, most of mine are large). The other modes sound too artificial. I have my surrounds and backs turned up for 6.1 DVD. The material is just too thin for 5.1/6.1/EX DVD's in that mode. This is really a what you like question. And what you like is the best for you.
    I wish I had a 5803[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] !

But that is pile of money for a sound system that is not in full time use.
    The 3802 has been a good receiver for what I needed it for. I bought mine for $699 shipped from 6th Ave in Jan of last year and have not regretted the purchase one minute.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Marco,

I also own a 3803, while I agree about the remote but you do get use to it pretty fast. Second I tried your interlaced vs progressive and didn't notice any red nor blue scroll bars. Maybe its a difference in our setup.

Pioneer elite 36 DVD
    Samsung TXM2796HF
    Infinity IL60s, IL36C, IL10S, IL25C

Let me know,

Phil

12. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Make sure your DVD player is setup right!!! Lots of people forget the settings in the DVD setup menu!!

Alex

13. Bill RE

Bill RE Extra

I got it working. I didn't have the DVD player set up properly. Thanks for the advice. I like the DVD audio much better in DTS.