What's new

denon 3802 owners question (1 Viewer)

Alex*P

Grip
At what decibel level do most of you play movies and also music?
i'm curious as to how you have your systems configured-as far as decibels for each speaker and then overall volume level that you use most often?

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

Most of my music listening is 2-channel. I don't know specifically at what dB I listen to because of the nature of the music I listen to most. Classical has a fairly wide dynamic range. Relative to the volume control on the receiver, however, if my family is home, the setting is usually from 30-40. When they are not, about 15-20.
For movies, I like listening to it relatively loud (about 15 on the volume scale). Again, less if my wife is also present. Mind you, the movies I like watching when she and my son are not at home need to be heard loud (i.e. lots of bullets and explosions).

Alex*P

Grip
i also like to watch those same movies,as well as space movies,starwars,etc.
i usually have mine set to -25db to -23db.
i have a apradigm speaker system and the sub is booming at that level. i haven't yet learned all the nuances yet of the receiver-any insight you or anyone can shed will help.
what speaker system are you using should be a question i ask as well.
also, do you watch movies mostly in 5 channel stereo or 5.1 or other?
thx for everyone giving input

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
As for the sub, assuming it is a powered one, I have the level set at about -6dB in the receiver. The volume control on the back of my sub (Paradigm PW-2200) is set to the point where, when watching movies, it is somewhat boomy, but when listening to music (via SACD) it can barely be heard (truly just fills in the bottom, not overbearing).

When watching movies via VHS tapes, I vary the type of DSP employed. I usually use DPL II, Direct, or 5-channel stereo.
When through a DVD player, I listen to however it had been recorded (I have the "auto" feature on in the 3802).

Paradigm Studio 60v2 mains
Paradigm Studio CCv2
Paradigm PW-2200
Mission 700 bookshelf for surround

Alex*P

Grip
dave, that's big help,thx.
do you know if i turn the fronts to "large", will the sub be disabled or just less involved?
i'll be putting some towers there and move my monitors to my surrounds and my mini's to my back channels. i'll be 7.1 soon.
i only watch dvd's and any of them that are "dialogue" driven, i watch in 5 ch stereo,as well as most of tv shows.
the "special" movies i watch in what it's recorded in as well. however, i need to figure out how to configure the dialogue. it seems weak in surround. i have a cc350 or 370-all i know is it's a giant speaker and i love it-but dialogue seems low sometimes. any tips there?

keep the feedback coming please, i'm learning here,thx!

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Alex,

If you set your main L/R speakers to large in the setup menu and you stated "yes" to a subwoofer, you have the option then of sending the bass signals to either the "LFE" (the sub) or "LFE+main" (the sub and the main speakers). According to the manual, the setting of LFE plus main might actually result in less bass due to the fact that the sound wave could be "out of phase" (i.e. the sound wave from the subwoofer actually partially canceling out the same sound wave from the mains). It is best to see for yourself which you prefer. I have my mains set to small and all bass frequencies (

Alex*P

Grip
no, i haven't. i actually dont even know of what you are talking about?
pls enlighten this budding audiophile!
also, do you have any issues w/dialogue on your system?
what are your settings? i guess i should try and play around w/them more.

by the way, if the center and l/r fronts are off center, can that make a difference in soundstage?

i know i have alot of questions, but there's alot to know!

thx!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I usually watch movies at -7 db, music at -20 db (using 7 channel stereo..not an audiophile I know)with my subs at their "THX" recommended setting. I have AT 350s all around, spkrs set at small, SW level at -12 (lowest). I have, though, calibrated everything with an SPL meter and AVIA.

Alex*P

Grip
please,someone tell me about these spl meters and avia's!!

what are they, where do i get them,what do they do?

Alex*P

Grip
what do these things do that our ear can't do?

last night, i reduced the db level on the sub and it was great,not overpowering.good advice.

what effect,if any, does the delay option really do?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Denon 3802
Paradigm 60's Main
Paradimg CC Center
Polk RT35i Side Surrounds
Polk RC85i Inwall Rear Surrounds
SVS 20-39CS w/ S1000 Amp

With this setup these are the speaker level settings calibrated using VE at 75db:
+1 FL
+0 C
-1 FR
-5 SR
-6 SBR
-6 SBL
-4 SL
+0 SUB

I will listen to movies at -15 to -9 and depending on the music from -18 to -10. This pretty loud, but I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks