Denon 3802 or Yamaha RX-V3000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Lewis, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Steven Lewis

Steven Lewis Auditioning

I cant decide which of thies two i should go with. I could use some feedback on which one would be a better choice. I listen to alot of music as well as watch alot of dvd's and sports on tv. I dont know enough technicaly to decide which one would give me the closest to best of both worlds. I am also concerned with the quality of both with respect to internal parts and build quality as well as sound quality. I will be hooking it up to a sony wega. sugestions on speakers would also help.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You should get yamaha with Definitive Technology speakers (see www.definitivetech.com for more info...I recommend the 2000TL's in particular). Yamaha has always been at the top in terms of reliability and build quality...and their sound quality is very natural and neutral to my ear. Good luck!

3. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

My vote is for the Yamaha.. I actually went through this same question myself but it was between the 3801 and the RX-V3000. I settled for the Yamaha as it seems to sound a bit better with my infinity interludes.

4. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

I vote for the 3802 since it is newer model than the yamaha. The yamaha has been out for over a year I think. The 3802 has 7 channels of amplifiaction, Dolby prologic 2, DTS-ES discrete, and a somewhat adjustable crossover (80,100,120). I think the Yamaha is fixed at 90. I'm sure the 3000 is nice unit (I owned a rx-v1 for a while, traded it in for a denon 4800), but I think you get more with the 3802.
    joe

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've already upgraded several times the past few years and always went with Yamaha, with the RX-V1 being the current model I have. Each time I went and auditioned the Yamaha and Denon side by side and found the Yamaha cleaner or clearer.... it is hard to put your finger on. I've set up several systems for friends lately who have all went with various Yamaha models.
    I personally have older JBL speakers that just kick butt. Very musical and great with HT. One friend has Paradigm on his Yam 1000 which are a surprisingly good match in a large room, another has a mix of entry level speakers on his 2095 Yam in a small room.
    All in all, you won't go wrong with either receiver. It's just a matter of what you like. I personally like the crispness and clarity I get from the Yamaha line whereas the Denon sounds slightly colored or warmer. IMHO.
    ------------------