Denon 3802 or Yamaha 2200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting some Totem Acoustic or Dynaudio speakers in the near future and they usually have nominal impedances of 4 ohms. I've decided to get a more expensive receiver rather than a cheaper receiver with a power amp. I've narrowed my choices down to the Denon 3802 and Yamaha 2200.

Which receiver will be more stable running speakers at 4 ohms? I know the Yamaha has an impendance switch to 4 ohms, however a salesman told me the Denon has an excellent power supply. He said the power supply will allow the Denon to run stable at 4 ohms. Is there any truth to his statement?

I like both receivers but I'm leaning more towards the Denon because I find it has a warmer sound plus I like it's appearance.

Will the Denon run 4 ohm speakers okay or will I be better off getting the Yamaha?

Thanks

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

both 'll work just fine.....

3. Dimitri H

Dimitri H Auditioning

Paul,

I'm in the same boat as you. This week, I'm looking to pick up a 3802 ($699), and the Totem DreamCatcher series ($1700) of speakers which I'll use for my rear, surround, and subwoofer. For the mains, I'm looking at the Totem Mite's($600). Unfortunately I'll have to wall-mount all 6 of the bookshelf speakers. I guess being from Canada, you'll probably get a better deal on the speakers. What kind of speaker wire will you be using? I haven't really seen a whole lot of input regarding the Totems but they sounded good to me (I was previously serious about Boston Acoustics but the salesman really pushed these). Are these the Totem's you're interested in? Do you plan on using the 3802 as a pre-pro to a different amp?

4. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Dimitri,
    That sounds like a great system. [​IMG]
    I didn't actually go with the Totems. I bought B&W 602's instead. The Totems are great but I was more interested in home theater and the Totems don't really have that flexibility. Other than the Dreamcatcher system, only two other speakers have matching centres. But I'll definitely look into them again when I decide to make a pure 2 channel system.
    And yes the Totems are cheap here in Canada. The Canadian and American prices are almost identical. Very similar to Paradigm's pricing.
    I tried all the models in my price range, the Mite, the Rokk, and the Sttaf but not the Arro. The Mite was quite good, but a little more money can buy you the Rokk, which IMO is a better deal. The Sttaf, of course, was the best of the three, but it also costs 70% more than the Rokk.
    The Denon 3802 will be a good receiver for your speakers. I've talked to many people about it driving 4 ohm loads, and they all said not to worry about it. I plan on buying the 3802 very soon. I'll use it's internal amps, and then I'll add separate amplification. Eventually I'll get a real preamp.
    One more thing, if at all possible, don't wall-mount the Mites. They are good music monitors, but like all good speakers, they need space to perform well. Place them at least 2 feet from the wall.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

3802 at 6th ave for????? Best deal so far.[​IMG]

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I also find the Denon 3802 hard to beat at this price from 6ave.com and it will push your 4ohms speakers.

7. Dimitri H

Dimitri H Auditioning

Thanks for the input. I think I will check out the ROKK's. I listened to the DreamCatcher series in a demo Home theater and was impressed (however I'm a rookie).

The reason I have to mount the speakers is because I have a recently-mobile 18-month old boy in the house who will discover any moving part...and move it. I'm afraid of a tower (or speaker on a stand) either coming down on him, or him damaging it.

I have an entertainment center for my 32" Sony WEGA and will have to put the center speaker, 3802, and a Harman Kardon AMP on top.

I just had the brilliant idea of building a box for these with 'wings' hanging off each side to put the front Totem's on, instead of hanging them from the ceiling. This will place them roughly 2 feet from the rear wall but will still be around 24" above the listening level.

-Would this be advisable? I notice most stands are sand-filled for a reason. Can speakers on a suspended shelf still perform ok?

-They would be right next to the front center speaker - is this too close?

-If they're not shielded, would this be too close to my TV?

-Per other advice on this forum, I'm going to purchase some 12-gauge speaker wire from partsexpress.com - any misgivings about this?

I'm getting ready for my purchase and plan on wiring my living room this weekend. Any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated.