Denon 3802 or Sony STR-VA555ES, help please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Belgarath, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

I demoed the Denon 3802 with B&W 603s3, 601S3, LCR60S3 and ASW 600.
    I liked it's DVD performance, but it will not be used for DVD's only, I play a lot of music too.
    Just as the reviewers said in What-hifi august 2002 edition, the Denon is a bit soft in normal stereo.
    According to the comparison in the magazine, the Sony is supposed te be a bit more articulate in stereo, I am reading the same in other threads in this forum

The problem however is that over here, there are no shops that have the Sony standing around, they can order it, no probs, but only if I will buy it.

Would you say I should order and buy it in stead of getting the Denon?

Belgarath

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Belgarath, welcome to the Forum. That's a bit of a tough call there with the 'VA555ES. A dealer obviously isn't serving your best interests by forcing you to buy the 'VA555ES if they order it. Any dealer should know that one needs to demo gear before making a purchase. Furthermore, if your dealers are authorized Sony dealers, they should be able to return the unit to Sony if you don't want it and they don't want to keep it in the store to demo. The 'VA555ES got a great review in What Hi*Fi?, but that certainly wouldn't be enough to get me to buy one blindly. Frankly, no one's opinions here would be enough either. No offense to anyone here, but you really need to demo gear to make the right decision for you. If no dealer in your area will allow you to demo the 'VA555ES and you know no one who owns one that you can borrow, I would pass on it.

If I could, I would avoid buying anything from the dealers near you that won't allow you to demo the 'VA555ES. Can you buy the Denon '3802 or another receiver from a different dealer?

3. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

I went back this afternoon and talked to the dealer again.
    I was able to convince him to order the Sony so I can demo it, I didn't need to buy it either.
    So in about 10 days I will be able to demo the Sony with the B&W speakers.

Belgarath

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Belgarath, well done. Persistence pays off. If you do compare the Denon '3802 and Sony 'VA555ES side-by-side, let us know what you think about them. I'm in the US and may be in the market for a new receiver (long story). I am considering the '3802 and the Sony 'DA5ES, which is the US version of the 'VA555ES. An opinion from someone who has compared the two receivers side-by-side would be welcome, though I will not base my purchasing decision on your opinion. No offense. [​IMG]

5. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Just get the Denon! Before I made my choice I checked out a bunch of receivers, and I noticed that pretty much every sony receiver I saw ran very hot! Plus you pay more for their name than quality.

My opinion is get the Denon and stay away from the sony receivers, speakers, and even a lot of their tv's. I will say their dvd players work alright. I'm running The Denon avr 3801 basically the same as the 3802 without PL II, and the Denon dvm1800 5 disk dvd player.

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Willy- Good choice. Burned hands and the sight and smell of burning flesh would be an automatic eliminator for me also.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Willy said:

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

9. flenn

flenn Agent

10. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

The 3802 runs hot too. So what? When you have big amplifiers, you make a lot of heat. At least if you can feel the heat coming out of the top of the receiver, you know that the heat is escaping.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

12. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

I'm not saying Sony TV's stink, In my opinion you usually pay more for a sony tv than what you would pay for in a comparable tv with the same features. That's what I have seen. Also I'm not just comparing Sony receivers to just Denon, but sony to Many other brands. Sony has a bad history with overheating receivers, and receivers running too hot.

Obviously all receivers will get warm, but the Sony's get real hot... Maybe they have fixed it with the newer models, don't know.

13. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the Sony receiver that you mentioned. I just got a brand new 3802 and I just love it It is great on HT. Maybe I am not giving a fair comparison here because I run my two main channels from the pre amp out into a Denon POA 5200 but compared to the AVR 3300 which I up graded from I would have to say that the AVR 3802 is softer but not to the expense of detail just a little easier on your ears.

14. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

Since you asked...

When I purchased my 3802 it was between it and the Sony (same ones being discussed here.) in the same store with the same speakers and an a/b switch, I spent an hour listening to the two. Different DVDs and CDs. I played the exact same sections of any given movie or cd back to back or had the salesman throw the a/b switch during a passage whenever I waved my hand. The salesman was behind me at the control panel and I didn't always know which was playing. (unless I asked.) To me, this is as close to a blind a/b test as I could get.

End result: I bought the Denon. Deciding factors were: a greater articulation of the mids, the Sony sounded muffled/muddy on bass, Denon seemed to have a greater soundstage/imaging/localization of sound or instruments. Probably the single biggest difference was replication of minute details to a particular sound. Instead of just breaking glass in an explosion (Sony), I heard the ping on the glass, shattering, individual pieces of glass hitting/falling. That's just one example. Sounds were simply more defined. Sorry this may be my layman's terms and obviously it is just my opinion. But, to me, in a direct blind a/b test for and hour, the choice became very simple.

Features must be compared and that may sway your decision too.

Hope this helps,
    MM

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, fair enough. I am considering the '3802 as a new receiver along with the Sony 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES and any new ES models coming along. While I am leaning towards Sony right now, I will do some comparisons.