What's new

Denon 3802 or Integra 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Well basicaly I've narowed it down to these 2 recievers. I have Paradigm monitor 7's, mini monitors and a cc-370 for center. I would say I prefer audio 60/40 over movies. The extra amp in the Denon really dosen't concern me either, I just want the best sound for my speakes. I have a yamaha 5460 right now, and I know the 3802 (1082) is tons better cause my parents just bought one. I have been reading alot about the denon having some quality controll isues and the 3802 beeing a step down from the 3801... I can get a pretty good deal on the 7.1 right now...or should I wait for the 6.3? DPL II really dosen't mean much to me either, I listen to audio in 2ch and I don't have many tapes so I probably wouldn't use it.

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
i would go with the denon.. it sounds much better than a yamaha and intergra. IMO it just simply sounds better, and thats what it really comes down too right?

l8rz,

miller

Ok here is another question, I can get the 1082 for 689, or the 3802 for 700 something. I know there supposed to be the same but why the 200 difference in msrp?

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same choice a few months ago. I too have the same Paradigm speakers. I listened to both the Denon and the Integra. In the end I bought the Integra. I felt that the only extra feature that Denon offered was PLII. I don't watch video tapes anymore so I didn't care about it. I feel that the Integra offers a more refined sound. Better amps that are THX select, and a much better remote. I'm happy with my choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Aaron,

I own the 3802, after owning the 3801. And I can tell you that the 3802 is a step up from the 3801. Soundwise the 3802 is easily the better receiver. Sure, the 3801 may have heavier volume knobs, but who cares. You use the remote to do everything. Also, Gil D on this forum popped the top on both receivers (3801 and 3802). The 3802 has bigger caps and redesigned output stage. To me, the 3802 is definitely a step up.

You may not care about the extra two channels now, but what if you decide to go to 6.1 (7.1)? With the Onkyo you will need another amp. Also, with the Denon, you can use the 2 amps to power a 2nd zone. I use them to power my patio and living room speakers. It is great for patios to have music out on the patio and in the front room, while people are watching TV in 5.1 in the main room.

I will say this about the Onkyo stuff - the remotes are probably better, however, you can buy a universal remote (like an MX-500 or 700). You don't buy a car because you like the remote that comes with the key. You buy it for performance. Saying that, I find that I actually like the Denon 3802 remote. It controls my whole system, and I use the macros to turn on/off everything with discretes. My wife really likes the remote and can operate our system without my help. It is definitely one of the better remotes out there - from Denon or anyone.

And don't dismiss DPLII. Most people think it is just some format for VHS. I can tell you, it is great on music and cable/satellite/tv viewing. I never watch VHS tapes, but I watch a lot of TV, and PLII really makes great use of all of the speakers. I can watch shows on TV, and sometimes feel like I am watching a discrete 5.1 audio track. Some are better than others, but IMO, it is something to get.

But in the end, pick what sounds good to you. Both are great brands.

Bryan

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon 3802 is being replaced. The new model 3803 is tentatively scheduled for August (usually later) release.

So prices for the 3802 should start coming down, if that enters into your decision.

Harley

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Where did you hear that Harley? There has been rumors of a 3803, and rumors that a 3803 wouldn't be out until next year sometime.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Until recently I hadn't heard any system with DTS ES and I had always been pleased with what I'd heard in the past. However, after hearing it, I want it. Is it important? Not really. But I do think it is worth it. I think it really enhances the surround field.

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Where did you hear that Harley? There has been rumors of a 3803, and rumors that a 3803 wouldn't be out until next year sometime.
I spoke to a representative from Denon Electronics U.S.A. headquarters (New Jersey).

I currently own two Denon receivers and I had a question that I felt could only be answered by Denon, during my conversation with the rep. He told me that the entire Denon line of receivers was going to be replaced with 03.

I specifically asked what changes were taking place with the 3802 (3803), he told me he was not at Liberty to divulge the changes but all he could say was that the 3803 was scheduled for an August release to the public, I proceeded to drill him for information and my speculation as to what changes may or may not be included with the 3803, I struck out but he did hint that the changes would not be drastic.

I'm not surprised because the 3801 was not out very long before it became 3802.

Harley

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I look at receiver purchases pretty much the same way as I do computer purchases. If you wait, sure the price will go down but you'll be behind the curve. I'd buy as much receiver as you can afford and that sounds best to you. I personally wouldn't go with the integra if only because of the lack of PLII and DTS-ES. As mentioned, those are pretty big things in my mind - PLII is great for Satallite and TV viewing and I also really like ES (not to mention 7 "channel" surround from DD-EX). That's one of the reasons I got the 3802 - it's got everything I wanted - 7 powered channels, PLII, DD-EX & DTS-ES decoding, etc, at a great price and sounds great.

Of course everyone is different!

you make a strong argument....you mentioned the 7.1 ex, I think the integra has that, you just have to add an amp. What is the difference between ES matrix and ES discreat? Is matrix a combination of the left and right surrounds into a single center surround and discret is it's own seperate signal? a local integra dealer is selling the 2 channel 7.1 amp for 190, I bet I could get it for 150. but I have an oportunity to purchase a slightly used integra 7.1 so I think I'm gona pursue that and if that dosen't fall through I will go get the denon.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Just a hunch, but I'd be willing to bet that the only thing the 3803 will add is THX Select processing and the DD EX label on the front. Any other guesses?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

Correct, the DTS Matrix is a combination of the left and right surrounds into a surround back channel. DTS Discrete has its own channel for the surround back.

so right now what's the advantage of having 7 amplified channels? there isn't any dvd's in 7.1 right? right now its just dsp stuff?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
If you want to take advantage of DTS ES, six channels is an absolute must. I believe seven channels comes into play when you have a large listening area or if you want more sound envelopment.
Also, depending on the make of speakers you're using, it's sometimes cheaper to get a pair of surround speakers than a single center channel. You may as well put the extra speaker to use and power it.:D

Ok I'm gona throw another brand into the group, I haven't heard them lately so I don't know how they are. What about the marantz 7200 or 8200?

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,I just demoed the 3802,Onk.898 and the Marantz 8200 within 2 hours of each other.Keep in mind that this was at 2 diff. stores.My impressions were that the Denon was a step below the other 2,but if you look at the price this only makes sense.The Denon remote and manual can be frustrating.I currently have a Denon so I'm familiar with this.The Marantz 8200 sounded very good on Gladiator and my Alan Parson's CD that I brought along.They demoed the new DVD audio disc of Hotel California and I can easily say that it was the best sound I have ever heard of a recording.The Gladiator DVD sounded a touch better than the Denon.Be careful on the 7200,I've heard of some problems with a popping sound with this unit.I listened to the Onkyo last and thought that for overall performance this was the best performer.Music was an improvment over the Denon as well as the Gladiator DVD.The remote is easy to use and the on screen display looked very easy to program.If money is tight,the Denon would be a good choice.But IMHO,if you have the extra money the 898 is the way to go.I'm getting mine on the weekend:D .Hope this helps.
P.S If I wasn't in Canada,I'd go for the Outlaw plus a amp but the dollar,duty and shipping puts that out of my budget.
Wayner

Well guys I made a decision tonight and I want to thank everyone for their help. Here is the story, I have paradigm monitor 7's as fronts, mini monitors as rears, and a cc-370 as a center. I had a Yamaha HTR-5460 that I picked up new for 300 bucks a few months ago. My parents bought a Denon 1082(3802) a couple weeks ago and I hooked it up to my stuff to see how it sounded. Well it sounded great so I decided to look into getting a new reciever myslef. I went out today and bought a Integra 7.1 and a Marantz 7200. Came back and put a couple Cd's in and played them on the Yamaha in 2 channel stereo, then hooked up the marantz. I'll tell you what I was not impressed with the marantz at all. It still had that bright, thin sound that I was trying to get away from with the Yamaha. Then i hooked up the denon and listened to how much better the denon was over the marantz. I then hooked up the Integra and listened to it in 2 channel stereo. I'll tell you what the Integra and the denon were extremely close to each other. The Denon had somewhat more of a pronounced midrange and the Integra was a litle more pronounced in the lower treble. So from what I could tell you can't go wrong with either of these recievers. I stuck with the integra because I like the design of the box itself better.

It's the 797 equivalent I believe. I looked at the onkyo 797 and I really didn't like the build. granted I didn't listen to it but this integra is a friggin tank. I'm running 12 gauge monster, I plan to upgrade sometime to bi-wire cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks