What's new

Denon 3802 or 3801.... (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'm getting a set of Polk LSi's for my main theater, and have decided to set up the old set (Polk RT25i's+245i) in our Bedroom. I'm planning on getting the Denon 3802 or 3801 to power them. Here's my question :)
My local dealer will sell me the floor model 3801 for $200 less then the 3802, but the 3802 would be brand new. I'm leaning towards the 3802, since it has Pro Logic II (this is the primary TV watching TV).
Is there anything worse about the 3802 then the 3801?
Any comments appreciated... including why do you want that... get this :) I'll say it now though, I've got seperates in my Main system (Soney ES 9000 N/T) and don't want to devote the space for them here. The Denon does haev pre-outs so I could add an amp if I wanted to... but no rush there.
Brian

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Realibility Issues:

1) Various posts regarding hum/hiss on some/all channels on the 3802.

2) A review in audiorevolution pointing out to a bug in the adjustable bass management-

Putting my ear to the speakers, I noticed that they were trying to replay the significant bass part, despite being configured as "small." This points to a bug in the bass management system, which needs to be examined.
3) Some posts complaining about weak channel separation etc etc.

4) Poorer build quality- Cheap plastic components in the faceplace compared to the brushed aluminum components on the 3801.

These are some of the things that I can think about right off the top of my head. I am sure if you do a search on this forum you will find some more like these.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Is there anyone who owns a 3802 or 3801 able to comment on these issues?

Perhaps even though its a floor model and older I should get the 3801.... Or is there another reciever (Sony ES perhaps) that would be as good as the 3802 (I'd like DPLII)

edit: Looks like the Sony ES recievers run hot just like my 9000 ES pre/amp. Wheras the Denons run cool. Furthermore it seems there are a lot of people who have no problems with the 3802... It seems silly that Denon would update the 3801 to make a 3802 and break a lot of things. I do have to wonder if the 110w/ch vs 105w/ch is just some sort of new math.

Brian

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
There are a bunch of us who have perfect 3802's. But if you can get a great deal on a 3801, go for it. That is a good unit. Price should be $600 for a 3801. If not e-mail me and I will hook you up with an authorized first class dealer for the 3802 cheap!!!! You said $200 less than a 3802. I have not seen a 3801 lately on the net, but do a search for one.:emoji_thumbsup:
DA5es and 898 should also be in your sites. The 5es can be had for $750.:D ;)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I am sure most of the 3802s are fine. Its only that there are more occurences of lemon 3802s than there are of lemon 3801s. If you are buying from a B&M store with good return policies then this should not be an issue and you should, IMO, go for the 3802, esp if you are going to watch a lot of TV (although I find the Denon matrix mode to be quite satisfactory). Only if I was buying the 3802 from an e-store would I be cautious.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have a problem-free 3802 that I absolutely love.
I nearly went with the Sony DA5ES instead...but at the time...the Sony was a couple hundred more $'s than I wanted to pay.
I do recommend buying the Denon 3802 (or any model) from a retailer/dealer versus buying on the net. This way, if there happens to be any problems with it...you can easily exchange it or flat-out return it for a diffrent one.
You'll probably spend about $100 more doing it this way (like I did) but I felt much more comfortable doing it this way than I would have felt buying the 3802 via the net. And, this is coming from a guy who - over the past 4 years - has purchased just about every HT item I own via the internet. Nothing bad has happened as of yet with anyhting I purchased via the net ...but the Denon warranty from a local authorized dealer is something I really wanted my next receiver to have as a feature. :)
Just my thoughts.... good luck :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I own a 3802. I know 2 other people that own one. All perfect. The 3801 is also a great unit. Either one is great, but the the 3802 is better IMO. More power, DPLII, better remote, newer tech.

Richard_M

Second Unit
I have the 3802 and love the unit. I was unfortunate to have had a couple that had faults at the start, but these were exchanged immediately with another new boxed model.

As far as getting lemons, maybe it is due to the popularity of these units. A mate of mine just went and purchased a Marantz and the front right and rear left channels are dead. So does this now make the Marantz units lemons?

My theory on this, is why do manufactures have warranties, if all the products that are produced are perfect then why do we need warranties?

A while ago there was the problems with the Yamaha top of the range amplifier losing sound out of channels, it was found to be faulty rca connecters (which of course were not manufactered by Yamaha) so does this make the Yamaha's lemons?

These forums are a great place to get feedback on all types of products, already there are alot of satisfied owners of the Denons (myself included), my answer to your question is not to worry about the negative feedback reqarding this unit, but base your decision on the features, price and the sound of the unit.

Richard

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I've used Sony V444es, had Denon 3801 and upgraded to the 3802 which I use now. After using the the 3802 for a week I could not go back to using the the 3801 (which is also a great receiver).

If I was mostly home theater or had more full range fronts (for 2 channel)I wouldn't think twice about getting the Sony DA5es for $750. What a steal!

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I also had a 3801, and swapped it out for a 3802. The sound of the 3801 was good, but the 3802 is better. This is not just me saying this - but just about anyone who has heard the two receivers. The 3802 has a warmer, punchier sound than the 3801. Not that the 3801 was bad, but once I hooked up my 3802 after listening to the 3801 for 6 months, I was pleasantly surprised at the warmer sound of the 3802. Male voices had more depth, and my surrounds seemed to have more bass and punch to them. I have heard others say that the 3802 returned to that signature "Warm Denon Sound". Many people called the 3801 bright. I had never heard Denon before, and to me, the 3801 absolutely blew away my old JVC receiver, so I was like "whatever". Then I heard the 3802 and fully understood what everyone was talking about.

Also, DPLII is something you should get - otherwise you will kick yourself for not spending the extra money to get it. I leave my receiver in DPLII Music mode on everything, except for DD or DTS DVDs. It is that good! However, the Matrix mode on both the 3801 and 3802 is a very good alternative, but the stereo full range surrounds in DPLII is just awesome.

I know that Gil D even popped the top on the two receivers, and saw for himself that the caps on the 3802 are larger, and that the output stage was different. So for those that say they aren't really that different except for DPLII, there are physical differences.

Bryan

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I guess I am the only one who thinks the 7 channel stereo is awesome. I don't use the neo6 or dolby2 for stereo cd's. The sound of all the speakers working at full power and sound is a preference that I like over the artificial stuff. Just me, I guess.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Earl - are your rear surrounds as good as your main speakers? That may be why you prefer it. My surrounds are in-walls - and for HT use - they do the job well and match really well. However, for music, they just don't sound as good as the front speakers, so I don't like the way 5 Ch sounds in my system. I only use it when I am doing stuff around the house and I want the sound to kind of fill up the house. I wish I had gotten real speakers for my surrounds, but I really like the stealth look in my theater, so I will sacrifice the rear surrounds to have the look that I want.

Bryan

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yep! you hit it on the head. I have 5 great full range towers with 12" and 15" woofers and two full range bookshelf's. I was thinking Of a way to do a wall or ceiling mount to free up some floor space. But no plan has popped up as a great idea yet. I have two exterior walls that would have to have a speaker mount on an arm. My wife says no. I just don't want to go up in that attic again. The wire pulling demons live there from January past. That is a major project to nail a 1" piece of plywood for a baffle and mount a speaker to it so the sheet rock doesn't rattle. Or sacrifice sound an buy a pre built stud speaker box assembly. And ceiling speakers are not always pointed in the correct direction for 6.1. I should have built the panels in the walls while it was being built to mount full range triaxes to(2x8 studs for the speaker walls).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks