1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 3802, Onkyo 797, 898 or other which should I get

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Bates, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Mark Bates

Mark Bates Agent

I have been reading the reviews of Denon's higher recievers and they seem wonderful. I have also read reviews of Onkyo's lower products and they seem like great values. However I have not seen these models reviewed.
    I am looking to spend between $800-$1200 and am looking for Dolby Digital (EX prefered), DTS-ES, DP2, and at least 6 channels driven by the amp.
    My real choice would be the Denon 4802 if I could afford it, but I need to set my sights a bit lower.
    One question that will affect my thinking. How does 6.1 DD matrix (Denon) compare to true DD-EX? Is it the same thing without the logo?
    Is the additional amped channel on the 898 and the other extras worth the $300-400 premium over the 797?
    If there is another reciever in this price range that fits the bill that I should consider please tell me.
    After reading some of the other posts here I thought I should add this. The winning reciever will be used purely for Home Theater. I do not listen to music in the room it will be used in. It will be matched with an Atlantic Technology 270 speaker system. These speakers tend to be less bright and more true to the orginal sound.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    [Edited last by Mark Bates on November 10, 2001 at 11:50 PM]

2. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Mark,
    Here's a thread you might find of interest.
    ------------------
    --RR

3. Mark Bates

Mark Bates Agent

Thanks that did help a bit, but I am still torn.
    It seems that the 1802 and the 797 compare close to each other with the 898 just a bit above. I also seem to be a little low on my 797 to 898 price difference it seems close to $475.
    the 1802 has 7 channel matrix sound
    the 797 has six channel EX sound
    I currently own a formerly high end (100 X 5) Pioneer AC3 5.1 channel reciever and like that a lot, but I was thinking that if 5.1 channels sounds this good 6.1 or 7.1 must sound that much better. Am I wrong? Should I just stick with what I have or go for the new format?
    Thanks,
    Mark

4. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

If you search this forum you will find numerous threads that talk about the pluses and minuses of both Onkyo and Denon. The best thing to do is go out, listen to both units, spend some time with the remote, tell the salesperson to go away so you don't feel rushed and then buy them online. J&R (http://www.jandr.com) can get you the 898 for $1049 without a lot of bargaining and they are an autorized dealer. You may be able to do even better.
    Good Luck,
    Jeff

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Isn't the Denon 1802 even less power than the 2802? if anything, I though the 3802 was in the same catagory as the 797.

6. Dan A

Dan A Agent

Well you said other, so how about the Yamaha RX-V2200. It's right in the price range and seems to have all the new features. I was trying to make the same comparison and then Yamaha announced its new models, Initially I didn't want another Yamaha (they offered less features), but the new ones are making me reconsider. I may be in the minority, but I do use the DSPs. Depending on the music, they significantly improve the sound in my accoustically challenged room when I adjust the delays. ANd I've heard, second hand, that they are less bright, not that that was a major complaint of mine, but if they sound a bit different than my current RXV895, that would be ok.

7. Mark Bates

Mark Bates Agent

1802 was a typo sorry meant the 3802.
    Mark