Denon 3802 No Longer Working - Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Haynes, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Last night I was watching satellite and after Sex And The City ended I turned down the volume to jump on the computer just to pass time for my next show to come on. When the show came on I turned up the volume like usual and NOTHING. There was no sound at all.

What I noticed different was that the DIGITAL light was flashing repeatedly like it couldn't get a signal. The light will flash for 10 seconds and then remain lit, but with no sound. I checked the back of receiver and satellite and both connections were solid. I then switched to the CD source which uses a optical connection and still NO sound. I tried a DVD out, which was working just fine earlier that day and no sound. I then tried switching to the TUNER to see if there is something wrong with it being able to decode a Digital signal and the TUNER had no sound. So all of my digital and analog sources have no sound.

I have my DENON acting as a preamp to a Parasound 1205, so to make sure nothing was wrong with the amp I did a Test Tone check. It worked, I am still getting power to the speakers but no sound using any devices.

Is there something wrong with the DACS? Is there any other tests that I can do to narrow down the problem? The Denon is about 1.5 years old and was bought at an authorized dealer, but I hoping not to have it shipped out. Has anyone heard of this issues with a Denon?

2. Rob_Smurf

Rob_Smurf Auditioning

I'd take that Parasound out of the equation and see if it flys. First step in troubleshootin - simply it to the lowest common denon-inator. =)
    rc

3. Greg Haynes

UPDATE

After further testing the receiver I have figured out that I can get playback with any ANALOG device that is set in either DIRECT or STEREO mode. I got sound through my CD player and Tuner using analog and DIRECT mode. The minute that I switch to DPLII or DTS Neo or any other sound mode the sound goes off.

I have also tried resetting the microprocessor and received no luck. No sound with any digital source.

I am thinking now that I need to send the unit in. What do you think Denon is going to charge for labor + parts for this type of situation? What is the turnaround time with Denon's service department? Where can I find a Denon service center?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, sorry to hear of your dilemma. I don't know what Denon charges for service, but they have a service center in North Jersey. I would think there would be some information in with the paperwork. If not, there should be some information on denon.com. If nothing else, you should be able to get a toll-free number between the paperwork and web site.

5. Greg Haynes

Hi Keith, haven't talked to in awhile. I see that your enjoying your new Denon 3800 [​IMG]

Well, the great news that I found out today is that my 3802 does have a 2 year warranty that covers parts & labor.

I went to Tweeter today on my lunch break and gave the receiver over to them to send out for it to be serviced. They quoted me a turnaround time of about 3 to 6 weeks. It's gonna be hard not to have my receiver, but I am so GLAD that it still is under warranty. This is were it pays to buy from an authorized dealer.

Now, I need to see if my TV speakers still work since I haven't used them in about 2 years [​IMG]

6. Greg Haynes

***Update***

84 days and 4 hours later I finally got a resolution on my receiver.

Long story short, the receiver turned out to have a bad DSP board and needed to be replaced. Denon said that they could fix this issue but to give them time to order the part. Well after many weeks of waiting and phone call after phone call with Tweeter's service center the part never came in. Paul at Tweeter's service center said that he was going to call Denon to get a final answer. He called Denon's main office and asked that they RA the old unit and issue me the new current model. Denon agreed. Paul, called me today to let me know to goto Tweeter and pick up a BRAND NEW Denon AVR-3803. I was so excited that I couldn't believe Denon agreed.

The great news also was that I have the day off today so I got to pick up the unit immediately and just got finished setting up and I'm already loving it.

I really love the new video upconversion that allows me to hook up all my video devices to the Denon and then just output one compononet cable to the TV. No more video switching on the TV.

Well it was a very long time to wait but its paying off now. Gotta get back to playing with all the settings.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Always happy to read about a happy ending (not to mention an example of first-rate customer service from a big outfit like Denon). Congratulations.

8. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'm glad the outcome of this situation was so favorable. Plus, getting a new 3803 isn't so bad, either. I'm assuming that you start the 2-year warranty period all over again with your 3803.

Enjoy !

10. Greg Haynes

Thanks guys for your comments, the new receiver is great.

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I always thought that it payed to buy from an authorized dealer. You end up paying 10-15% more than web prices but the peace of mind is priceless.