Denon 3802 newbie - cant get on screen display with Hitachi TWX20B

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Koch, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Steve Koch

Steve Koch Auditioning

Aug 23, 2002

Just got a Hitachi 57TWX20B and was trying to connect system to Denon 3802 using the 3802's rather hard to understand manual. I cant seem to get the on screen display to come up so I either have something connected wrong or am not punching the right button.

I am running a 75 ohm cable from the monitor video jack on the receiver to the monitor out video plug on the TV. I am also running an optical cable from the DVD player to OPT-1 on the receiver.

The AM-FM tuner works fine, VCR OK, but no sound from DVD or cable programming. I am guessing because I cant get to the on screen display to change the inputs.

It would be extremely helpful if someone could give some advice, I am still in newbie mode but am trying to graduate to beginner user status!

2. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

May 24, 2002
    Steve, try selecting video 1 on your tv. It';s been a while since I have messed around behind my tv, but I know that my OSD comes up when my tv is on video 1. I'm sure someone will know better than I.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

May 29, 1999
    Hang in there. The 3820 is a great unit. But it does have several options and in order to get the best from it, it will take a bit of time.

Make sure your Denon monitor output is connected to one of your TV's video inputs . Then once you chose the correct TV video input, you should see the Denon's menu.

Once you get the menu up, then you can go through the System Setup Menu of the 3802. The reason you're not getting any sound is because you need to assign the Optical input you've used to the DVD setting. (This will become much clearer once you start through the menu.)

Good Luck! We'll all help you as much as you need. Welcome to HTF!