1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 3802/Marantz 7200 for Paradigm???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering upgrading my Yamaha RX-V596 receiver to either a Denon 3802 or Marantz 7200 receiver. I have Paradigm Monitor 7 mains, cc-370 center, and mini monitor rears. I have a PDR-10 sub that will hopefully soon be upgraded to a SVS.

The Yamaha was what I could afford last year and while I am mostly happy with the movie performance, listening to music just didn't sound very good. 2 channel was the worst, and movie soundtracks and DTS music was almost as bad. Highs were harsh and bright, and while sub-80hz bass was ample, the 90-200hz region had an audible db dip that made rock music sound boring without that punchy bass guitar which sometimes was close to inaudible. The only time bass guitar sounds good is on the town cable station that plays jazz music in the background (they have the bass turned up excessivly loud, but because my system quiets these frequencies, it sounds just about right.) Some music is just absolutely unlistenable as are many Playstation 2 games (The brightness is excessive!). I've tried changing speaker position, but that upper bass dip was always present.

I'm looking for a warm sounding receiver to bring the musicality to my Paradigms. Clean, punchy bass is a must! Do the tone controls for these two control the mains and the center? I hate how the Yamaha just controls the mains leaving the center unmatched in sound tone. Also, do both of these receivers have comparable features or does one have more than the other? I hope to also add an HDTV soon, so support for that is a must. Pro-Logic always sounded lifeless to me...I'm looking forward to hearing PL-II.

Thanks for any help!

2. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

I can't answer all of your questions but I can say that I believe both the Marantz and Denon have very comparable if not almost identical features all around. I do believe hearing someone say here that the Denon cannot pass the full bandwith of an HDTV signal, but I could be wrong on that, and I don't know about the Marantz.

What I can tell you for sure is that the Denon 3802 (which I have) sounds fantastic with my Paradigm speaker setup (Studio 40s up front and Studio 20 rears). DPL2 has really brought new life to my music listening and DSS viewing. The 3802 is every bit as warm as my previous receiver (a Marantz SR-7000), which I think says a lot.

Anyway I hope that helps in some way, and I'm sure the more technical-savvy folks here can answer the rest of your questions.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Tom,

I just checked the owners manual of my SR-6200 and the Bass and Treble adjustments control the front and centre speakers.

I can tell you that 2-channel sound is fantastic, especially in Source Direct mode. If you are looking at Marantz however, check the unit out at the dealer to see if it has the audio dropout problem for CD track switching when using digital inputs, and make sure the S-video switching is clean.